Gas Operated

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gas Operated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gas Operated

I'm probably going to sound like a complete idiot here by asking this, but I'm still learning about guns and how they operate. What does it mean that a rifle is "gas operated" such as an AK-47 for example?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

As each bullet travels through the AK barrel, a portion of the gases expanding behind it is diverted into the gas tube above the barrel, where it impacts the gas piston. The piston, in turn, is driven backward, pushing the bolt carrier, which causes the bolt to move backwards, ejecting the spent round, and chambering a new round when the recoil spring pushes it backfire, automatically cycling fresh rounds into the chamber, until the magazine is exhausted or pressure is released from the trigger.

All gas operated rifles like the AK and AR have a gas port in the barrel that directs gasses back to cycle the action, either by way of a piston (AK) or the direct impingement method (AR15).

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 AM   #3

hey thanks for the explanation. very helpful!

Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #4

M-1 Garands and M14's (M1-A) have the piston below the barrel. This is one of the semi-automatic types of mechanisms. Other types include recoil operated and blow-back. Gun mechanicals are unbelievably interesting and can be exceedingly complex, depending on how far into it you want to delve. I am a "gun-nut" and find the subject fascinating.

There are some great books out there. Do a search on Amazon and see what pops up.

Fast Ed