Gas-oerated rotating bolt-action
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gas-oerated rotating bolt-action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gas-oerated rotating bolt-action

I just read about a gun that the authors referred to as gas-operated,
rotating bolt action. I know what bolt action is, but i thought gas
operated meant that after you fire a round, it'll automatically load a
new bullet into the chamber, so that kind of makes pulling the bolt back
unnecessary (which you would on a bolt action imho), doesn't it? You guys see, I have no clue haha, so how does this gun work?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Gas operated means their is a tiny little tank in the stock where you put a couple of spoonfuls of 89 Octane............

Sorry- could not resist!

Gas operated means that when the gun fires, and gasses are pushing the bullet down the barrel, some of that gas is tapped off from a small hole in the side of the barrel. This gas pushes on parts to make the action cycle. Examples include the M1 Garand and the AR-15. Garand uses a gas piston, AR uses a direct gas system where gas exerts push on the bolt.

Rotating bolt simply means that the bolt rotates to lock and unlock. Do not confuse with the term roller lock, which was used on guns like the MG42.

While we tend to think of gas operated as being used for bigger guns, the 50 Browning Machine Gun is not gas operated- it is recoil operated.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just learned two things from c3shooter (as I usually do). Exactly what a rotating bolt was and the difference between a piston system and direct gas system. Both of which I was very fuzzy on my knowledge about them .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
I just learned two things from c3shooter (as I usually do). Exactly what a rotating bolt was and the difference between a piston system and direct gas system. Both of which I was very fuzzy on my knowledge about them .
i bet c3shooter has probably forgot more about guns than most people will ever know. i have never met him, but i ask for his input and advise on just about anything firearm related. you just don't that much unless you been there, done that!

Old 09-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #5

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 919

Another little tidbit.... A bolt action rifle with a rotating bolt is a turn-bolt, opposed to a straight-pull bolt

Old 09-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
This gas pushes on parts to make the action cycle. Examples include the M1 Garand and the AR-15. Garand uses a gas piston, AR uses a direct gas system where gas exerts push on the bolt.
If I understand what you just overviewed, seems to me the AR style direct gas setup would quickly lead to fouling the bolt action due to residues being introduced to the actions moving parts and channels directly from the barrel as opposed to the energy being transfered through the piston/op-rod and remaining issolated from the gasses and residues. Is this a problem for AR's?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jismail View Post
If I understand what you just overviewed, seems to me the AR style direct gas setup would quickly lead to fouling the bolt action due to residues being introduced to the actions moving parts and channels directly from the barrel as opposed to the energy being transfered through the piston/op-rod and remaining issolated from the gasses and residues. Is this a problem for AR's?
It is the "perceived" problem for AR's. When you hear of internet commandos touting how AR's are unreliable and blah blah blah. That is what they're referring to. On an decently maintained AR, you'll almost never have problem with the action caused by fouling, however, on a full-auto M4 or M16, this can cause problems when firing large round counts in between cleanings. Hence the introduction of the piston driven AR's. They're aren't needed on semi-autos, but some people think that they absolutely must have them to have a reliable rifle which just is not true.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

The AR gas tube, and area of the bolt where the gas hits is somewhat "self cleaning" due to the powder used. When the M16 was FIRST fielded in the 1960's, the military used the wrong powder, and there were significant problems with fouling. Then.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Bolt action is a type of firearm action in which the weapon's bolt is operated manually...
Thank you guys! What confused me is that i was thinking of bolt action, like the wiki article states, as a system that is operated manually.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #10

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

In other words, the bolt is still there on a semi or FA. It's

just set up to operate through recoil gasses, one way or another.

On a bolt-action, the bolt is manually cycled and rotated...

You also want to be careful when you're cleaning the semi-auto

rifle, because cleaning fluids can get in the gas chamber through the inlet

hole in the barrel, as I found out the hard way with my Garand.

Not such a problem with weapons like the SKS or AK, where the

gas chamber is on top, but you still want to run a pipe cleaner through the hole

when you field strip and clean it, now and then.

Last edited by therewolf; 09-23-2011 at 08:58 PM.