Gander Mtn Strikes Again
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gander Mtn Strikes Again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Gander Mtn Strikes Again

My wife wanted to stop at Goose Mtn today to find a holster for her carry gun. While she was searching I was looking at their used rifles. They had about 10 Mosins in average to below average condition, Get this They were all labled from the Tulsa arsenal. I thought, hmm , must be Tula.I looked them all over and found they were all Ishevsk stamped. They all had a $179.95 price tag. Down the rack a little there were 3 Enfields, 2 S no 4 mk1. one was bubbaed and had a $574.99 price tag the other was in fair condition all origional for $299.99 all matching. The third one was in sad condition, a No 4 Mk 1,2 for $478.99. What am I missing or what are they missing, They have been there for at least 3 months. Pretty easy to see why There wasn't even a bolt head on the third one. There prices were very realistic when they had a gunsmith on the premesis but they only have gunsmiths at some store now. These guns were all supposed to be in safe shooting condition. They had an Axis Win for $269.00 new. <<Axis Win. ???

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2011, 02:46 AM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I thought the Axis was a Savage?

Old 11-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
My wife wanted to stop at Goose Mtn today to find a holster for her carry gun. While she was searching I was looking at their used rifles. They had about 10 Mosins in average to below average condition, Get this They were all labled from the Tulsa arsenal. I thought, hmm , must be Tula.I looked them all over and found they were all Ishevsk stamped. They all had a $179.95 price tag. Down the rack a little there were 3 Enfields, 2 S no 4 mk1. one was bubbaed and had a $574.99 price tag the other was in fair condition all origional for $299.99 all matching. The third one was in sad condition, a No 4 Mk 1,2 for $478.99. What am I missing or what are they missing, They have been there for at least 3 months. Pretty easy to see why There wasn't even a bolt head on the third one. There prices were very realistic when they had a gunsmith on the premesis but they only have gunsmiths at some store now. These guns were all supposed to be in safe shooting condition. They had an Axis Win for $269.00 new. <<Axis Win. ???
It's the same here in Iowa. Gander Mtn is WAY OVERPRICED on mostly all their guns unless you catch a really good sale. Sad part is I see people in there all the time overpaying and then pick up overpriced accessories because they get 10% off. I'm actually surprised on how many people don't do their research and think caus it's a big box store they are getting a deal.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 64

In talking to the guys at the gun counter at the Gander that I frequent, they buy used guns at 40% of the retail. So if they give $100 for a used gun it has to go on the rack for a minimum of $250.

Also, I have been told that there is no wiggle room on the price of a used gun until it has been on the rack for atleast 90 days. I tried to make an offer on a used 12 gauge double barrel and that is what I was told. The guy I know told me that the policy also applies to employees.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 AM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
My wife wanted to stop at Goose Mtn today to find a holster for her carry gun. While she was searching I was looking at their used rifles. They had about 10 Mosins in average to below average condition, Get this They were all labled from the Tulsa arsenal. . <<Axis Win. ???
$180 not too bad for a rare Mosin produced in Oklahoma.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 11-12-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:46 AM   #6

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

$180 not to bad for a rare Mosin produced in Oklahoma.
Was it used during the battle of tulsa...lol

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #7

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Tulsa? Was it signed by Clapton?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #8

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I thought the Axis was a Savage?
It caught my eye because the price seemed very reasonable for a new Axis. I looked at the tag and that said Winchester but the rifle is definately Savage. Everything I looked at was mismarked or overpriced. They make so many mistakes I look for a really big one in my favor. It's the only way your gonna get a great deal there.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #9

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094

It caught my eye because the price seemed very reasonable for a new Axis. I looked at the tag and that said Winchester but the rifle is definately Savage. Everything I looked at was mismarked or overpriced. They make so many mistakes I look for a really big one in my favor. It's the only way your gonna get a great deal there.
Try to take advantage of it huh? I would too, you nerve know they might mark something way too low.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Yeah, our Goose mountain is a big waste of time as well. The way the idiots behind the gun counter treat the guns scare me away as the price tags. The in house so called smith is so sub par as to not bother mentioning and the knowledge base behind the counter is a joke at best.

Was in there looking for a specialty item (shoulda just saved the time ordered off the interwebz straight away) and was listening to one of the guys behind the counter. He HAD a sale made on a revolver...but was telling the customer wrong about the state laws concerning handguns (they had changed July 1 this was August) and missed out on making sale because of his idiocy. Instead of correcting him, i just chuckled and left.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!