Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Gander Mtn Strikes Again (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/gander-mtn-strikes-again-51629/)

dteed4094 11-12-2011 01:37 AM

Gander Mtn Strikes Again

My wife wanted to stop at Goose Mtn today to find a holster for her carry gun. While she was searching I was looking at their used rifles. They had about 10 Mosins in average to below average condition, Get this They were all labled from the Tulsa arsenal. I thought, hmm , must be Tula.I looked them all over and found they were all Ishevsk stamped. They all had a $179.95 price tag. Down the rack a little there were 3 Enfields, 2 S no 4 mk1. one was bubbaed and had a $574.99 price tag the other was in fair condition all origional for $299.99 all matching. The third one was in sad condition, a No 4 Mk 1,2 for $478.99. What am I missing or what are they missing, They have been there for at least 3 months. Pretty easy to see why There wasn't even a bolt head on the third one. There prices were very realistic when they had a gunsmith on the premesis but they only have gunsmiths at some store now. These guns were all supposed to be in safe shooting condition. They had an Axis Win for $269.00 new. <<Axis Win. ???

trip286 11-12-2011 01:46 AM

I thought the Axis was a Savage?

silverado113 11-12-2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dteed4094 (Post 625473)
My wife wanted to stop at Goose Mtn today to find a holster for her carry gun. While she was searching I was looking at their used rifles. They had about 10 Mosins in average to below average condition, Get this They were all labled from the Tulsa arsenal. I thought, hmm , must be Tula.I looked them all over and found they were all Ishevsk stamped. They all had a $179.95 price tag. Down the rack a little there were 3 Enfields, 2 S no 4 mk1. one was bubbaed and had a $574.99 price tag the other was in fair condition all origional for $299.99 all matching. The third one was in sad condition, a No 4 Mk 1,2 for $478.99. What am I missing or what are they missing, They have been there for at least 3 months. Pretty easy to see why There wasn't even a bolt head on the third one. There prices were very realistic when they had a gunsmith on the premesis but they only have gunsmiths at some store now. These guns were all supposed to be in safe shooting condition. They had an Axis Win for $269.00 new. <<Axis Win. ???

It's the same here in Iowa. Gander Mtn is WAY OVERPRICED on mostly all their guns unless you catch a really good sale. Sad part is I see people in there all the time overpaying and then pick up overpriced accessories because they get 10% off. I'm actually surprised on how many people don't do their research and think caus it's a big box store they are getting a deal.

aandabooks 11-12-2011 02:41 AM

In talking to the guys at the gun counter at the Gander that I frequent, they buy used guns at 40% of the retail. So if they give $100 for a used gun it has to go on the rack for a minimum of $250.

Also, I have been told that there is no wiggle room on the price of a used gun until it has been on the rack for atleast 90 days. I tried to make an offer on a used 12 gauge double barrel and that is what I was told. The guy I know told me that the policy also applies to employees.

Jpyle 11-12-2011 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dteed4094 (Post 625473)
My wife wanted to stop at Goose Mtn today to find a holster for her carry gun. While she was searching I was looking at their used rifles. They had about 10 Mosins in average to below average condition, Get this They were all labled from the Tulsa arsenal. . <<Axis Win. ???

$180 not too bad for a rare Mosin produced in Oklahoma. :p

dragunovsks 11-12-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

$180 not to bad for a rare Mosin produced in Oklahoma. :p

Was it used during the battle of tulsa...lol

jpattersonnh 11-12-2011 03:32 AM

Tulsa? Was it signed by Clapton?

dteed4094 11-12-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 625485)
I thought the Axis was a Savage?

It caught my eye because the price seemed very reasonable for a new Axis. I looked at the tag and that said Winchester but the rifle is definately Savage. Everything I looked at was mismarked or overpriced. They make so many mistakes I look for a really big one in my favor. It's the only way your gonna get a great deal there.

trip286 11-12-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dteed4094

It caught my eye because the price seemed very reasonable for a new Axis. I looked at the tag and that said Winchester but the rifle is definately Savage. Everything I looked at was mismarked or overpriced. They make so many mistakes I look for a really big one in my favor. It's the only way your gonna get a great deal there.

Try to take advantage of it huh? I would too, you nerve know they might mark something way too low.

fmj 11-12-2011 01:45 PM

Yeah, our Goose mountain is a big waste of time as well. The way the idiots behind the gun counter treat the guns scare me away as the price tags. The in house so called smith is so sub par as to not bother mentioning and the knowledge base behind the counter is a joke at best.

Was in there looking for a specialty item (shoulda just saved the time ordered off the interwebz straight away) and was listening to one of the guys behind the counter. He HAD a sale made on a revolver...but was telling the customer wrong about the state laws concerning handguns (they had changed July 1 this was August) and missed out on making sale because of his idiocy. Instead of correcting him, i just chuckled and left.