Gamo Air Rifle suggestions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Gamo Air Rifle suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Gamo Air Rifle suggestions

Hi all,
I hope this is the right section where to post about air rifles.
I recently bought a Gamo CTX Royal. At my unexperienced eyes seems an ok rifle for practice (target shooting at 10-20 meters). I tried it today and was a bit surprised by its power and loud shot.
My first question is: i have shot just a few shots with this. After each of them i saw thin smoke emerging from the muzzle. Is it normal? Consider that it was quite cold (about 0°C, -32F) and that it was probably the first time the rifle was shot since coming out of the factory. I read not to use any oils inside the barrel to avoid damage so what may be causing the smoke?

Kind regards

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2128 Times on 1167 Posts
Likes Given: 634

The spring air rifles have a lot of oil in the air chamber and will smoke and be very loud until the excess is shot out. It will quiet down after about 40 pellets depending on how much oil there is. Your zero wont settle down until it stops smoking. It will also be loud with the alloy pellets as they break the sound barrier.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Thank you! I have shot it some more (still, less than 40 shots, little free time) and the smoke produced has diminished. Still loud and a bit inconsitent. But that may be the shooter...