Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Frustrating range trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 534 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Default Frustrating range trip

Okay so I'm sure everyone has had one of those range trips where you come away frustrated and wondering what the heck happened. Well today was one of those days.

Trying to sight in my rifle and it was all over the target at 100 yrds. I switched from cheap ammo to some middle of the line off the shelf stuff and it didnt do much better. Roll it out to 200 yrds and the target looks just the same. Then I went back to the cheap ammo and just start popping them off and not taking the time for the barrel to cool. Once its hot all of a sudden it starts grouping. I left the range very confused. A little ways down the street I see a gun shop I have never seen before. After talking to the guys in there for a bit I pull my rifle out to show them and then we discover that the rail my scope was mounted on was loose!

Well there goes 40 rounds of ammo wasted.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #2

Liked 283 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1243

Dont feel to bad Ive been there with lose mounts. I even got wally world to swap out a scope I knew was bad not, lol lose mounts I found puting the new one on. lol It happens

Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 534 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Hopefully I can get back out to the range in the next week and see if I have finally solved all my problems

Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 694 Posts
Likes Given: 2000

I'm sorry but that's not a frustrating range trip. I frustrating trip is one where you still have no clue even on your next trip. Your trip was a great trip because you learned something, and accomplished something. You learned the importance of a torque wrench and lock tite for rails and bases. You also fixed your problem which is an accomplishment.

Bobby Jones once said he never learned anything from a golf tournament he won.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #5

Liked 255 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Happens. I went shooting with a guy I met on here when I first joined and when I got my AR out for him to shoot it wouldn't cycle, a couple days before I had ran a couple clips through no problem. After we had put the guns up and I was getting ready to leave we broke it down to put some cleaner thru the gas tube and found that the gas receiver on top of the bolt was loose.