You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Front Rest.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

Really When I say 550 I didn't mean $5.50 I meant five hundred and fifty dollars.

I am not looking for a weekend plinker thing here I am looking for a precision piece of equipment for shooting.

Like this.

Front Rest. - General Rifle Discussion

Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Ok, I just looked a little closer at the pic, HP. I just picked me up one of those, not the jack or snappy vest, but the rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #13

Liked 837 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Really When I say 550 I didn't mean $5.50 I meant five hundred and fifty dollars.

I am not looking for a weekend plinker thing here I am looking for a precision piece of equipment for shooting.

Like this.

Arms are broken???

Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #14

Quote:

Like this.

Ok, I just gotta say something.

wtf?

You want the thing to walk itself to the range, self level both horizontally and vertically and give you a happy ending?

Ok, gotta say something else.

wtf?

Who pays "up to" $550 for a front rest unless they are making money using it? No offense to those who would spend that much on a FRONT REST.

Then, I got this thought: at some time, one needs to get to the point in their shooting where they are honest and confident in their ability. Most of my guns can shoot far better than I can. Heck, all of them can.

Thanks for the laugh, bro.

Quote:

Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #15

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:

Like this.

Yeah, I know Tango. Just kiddin a bit. Although I knew somebody would probably take advantage of the "plinker" version.

Have you looked at at the SEB rests?
::: SEB ( Coaxial Front ) REST :::

Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post

Who pays "up to" $550 for a front rest unless they are making money using it? No offense to those who would spend that much on a FRONT REST.
Skull, I take it you don't know any bench rest shooters?

Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Skull, I take it you don't know any bench rest shooters?

I don't know if I do or not. I don't live in that world...maybe eventually.

All I know is that the pic of the rest that Tango posted can be made at home for far less than $500+. Now if a duder shoots competition for good ole cash, then have at it all day. I don't recall military shootists using such a device, but then again, they are confident that they can shoot no matter the rest.

Just because it looks perty does not mean it can help anyone be a better shooter.

Quote:

Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
I don't live in that world...maybe eventually.
Neither do I. I'm not a skeet shooter with 3 thousand dollar shotguns either. I won't hold it against them though.

To me, "bench rest" is more a game of equipment than marksmanship. The only thing left to the shooter is loading the ammo consistently and being good at reading wind conditions. The rest is up to the equipment as far as I'm concerned. JMHO. But it is a game of thousandths of an inch, rather than inches. That pretty much rules out "human" control of the rifle the way I see it.

If that's what someone else enjoys doing and spends a ton of money doing it, it's no skin off my nose. Live and let live. Yeah, I could make one of those Sinclair rests at home for less than 500 bucks. If you don't count the cost of the machines, the tooling, and my time needed to do it. The Honda scissors jack on the other hand, was quick and cheap.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #19

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

I have plans to build at least 3 full on custom bench guns for varmint hunting and target shooting sometime in the future.

I just want a quality piece of shooting equipment.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Neither do I. I'm not a skeet shooter with 3 thousand dollar shotguns either. I won't hold it against them though.

To me, "bench rest" is more a game of equipment than marksmanship. The only thing left to the shooter is loading the ammo consistently and being good at reading wind conditions. The rest is up to the equipment as far as I'm concerned. JMHO. But it is a game of thousandths of an inch, rather than inches. That pretty much rules out "human" control of the rifle the way I see it.

If that's what someone else enjoys doing and spends a ton of money doing it, it's no skin off my nose. Live and let live. Yeah, I could make one of those Sinclair rests at home for less than 500 bucks. If you don't count the cost of the machines, the tooling, and my time needed to do it. The Honda scissors jack on the other hand, was quick and cheap.
I'm not arguing by any means. Got the dough to spend on anything, then do so. Whatever makes the person happy. As far as the red type quoted...take my word for it if you will...the components to make something so similar can be purchased and made to work. Imo, any rest that can offer 3 points of base is gonna be better than anyother number of bases. 3 points make a plane. The rest is just screw machine shaft, some set screws and a plate. You don't have to machine it.

Quote: