Front benchrest ideas
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Front benchrest ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Front benchrest ideas

Recently I bought a Caldwell Rock front rest. I have been ok with it other than the fact it "wobbles" side to side when you adjust up and down. I should have bought the competition version. But rather than shell out even more money, I was thinking of modifying my rest to make the vertical adjust more precise. The weight will not be an issue, it can weight thirty pounds for all I care. The issue looks to be the adjusting wheel itself. I don't believe the hole was drilled and tapped straight. I was wondering if you guys have any slick ideas I could use to modify this thing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

The problem is CRAPPY construction. Every single Rock front rest is the same way.

Me I would sell it to someone and buy a sinclair front rest. SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL : Sinclair Generation II Benchrest Windage Rest -

I am at that point now. I am sick of lugging 80# of sand bags to the range every time. The dust is crazy and that is a lot of effing sand bags.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think that I am going to have to try and make a new adjustment wheel and have it rest on a caged roller bearing. The trick is tapping the hole in the new wheel. Might have to take it to a machinist. I just want the thing to move smoothly and up and down without any left and right movement.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Go for it but I think your going to end up spending more money fixing the problem than it would be to sell it to some guy down the street on craigs list and buy the sinclair.

Good luck and keep us posted. I think that large wheel is the big draw back.