Freedom Group Fail - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Freedom Group Fail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj
It's Walmart, what do you expect?
It's Marlin I expect better from them.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #12

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagenodland View Post
It's Marlin I expect better from them.
I agree. They should make it right, or put some off the wall name on it...like Western Field!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #13

Freedom group does that with guns like the NEF and ones that bramch off that company they are made in china.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #14

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Just keep in mind Freedom Group, (Cerberus Capital Management), also owns Advanced Armament. Most AR lovers can't say enough good about that company, or the .300 AAC Blackout cartridge it produced. They own companies that produce weapons for a multitude of different markets. I recently looked at a Marlin Golden 39A and a .45-70 Guide Gun. Both of them were every bit as nice and well finished as both of mine are, that were purchased long before Cerberus bought Marlin. I saw zero deterioration of quality in either weapon. Wal-Mart is what it is. It is not where a gun affectionado would shop for a quality gun.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
They are not Mdl. 70 Winchesters. They are FN Bolt Action rifles made by a Belgium Company in the South Eastern U.S. They are using the fame of a Legendery American Firearm to market a rifle in no way related to the Mdl.70 Winchester.
You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, I just happen to see it differently.

The rifles are under Browning, who is under FN, but if you look at the design, it's nearly identical. The only differences I can see are improvements.

The feed ramp isn't filed down on the new ones because the bolt never contacts it. Why didn't they think of that years ago?

The bolt is a slightly bigger diameter, but the same design, still easily taken apart--no tools required.

The bolt release is the same, the blade extractor is the same, safety is the same, gas port is the same, the only thing different is all the machining is better and I like the stock design better. So, if you wanna say they're not Winchester's, that's fine. I have a pre 64 and a brand new one, and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, well...

Last edited by Model70; 04-05-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #16

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Ok for ducks. But I can tell you this, if you cross a papered English Setter with a Plot Hound you no longer have a Bird Dog. So much for the animal things. It is a copy of the one and only Pre-64 Winchester. Browning who has never produced rifles. They are based on patent rights and their rifles have always been as now produced by off shore firms. Most of the Pre-Japan offerings were by FN Belgium. The new Winchester/Browning lever guns are poorly made in Japan. These American FN rifles are close reproductions of the one and only Mdl. 70.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #17

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
It is a copy of the one and only Pre-64 Winchester. Browning who has never produced rifles. They are based on patent rights and their rifles have always been as now produced by off shore firms.
You could pretty much say the same thing about Weatherby, who has never produced their own rifles either. The Mark V DeLuxe has been produced in Germany, Japan, and in this country. The Vanguard is a rebadged Howa. Yet, all are some of the finest bolt action rifles ever produced. I have 2 Browning Citori's and a Browning BT-99. All were produced in Japan. Both of my Browning Hi-Powers were made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

The fact is none of it matters, because the manufacturing that was performed on the weapons was some of the best obtainable in the firearms industry at the time they were produced. With labor unions, along with the associated high labor costs in this country, such quality could not be produced for an affordable price. It is what took the original Browning Auto V off the market. It has been replaced by a cheaper to produce, Aluminum receivered model that Browning advertises as, "This is not your grandfathers Auto V". You can see that the moment you pick one up. In spite of that, it sells for almost double what the all steel Auto V sold for in it's last year of production. Thank high labor costs for the "improvement" in yet another American classic weapon that has fallen victim to high production costs. It is the reason that today a Marlin 39-A will cost you over $600.00 out the door, and why so few are being produced.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #18

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I know the Winchester 94s that were made back in the 50s, 60s and 70s look like they were built a lot better than the more recent models produced.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I can tell you very few of the replacement parts will just drop in to the old guns. I recently replaced cartridge guides on a pre-war 94 and I had to take a file to the new guides. They were out of specs to the point of being non-functional and were very rough.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid
Ok for ducks. But I can tell you this, if you cross a papered English Setter with a Plot Hound you no longer have a Bird Dog. So much for the animal things. It is a copy of the one and only Pre-64 Winchester. Browning who has never produced rifles. They are based on patent rights and their rifles have always been as now produced by off shore firms. Most of the Pre-Japan offerings were by FN Belgium. The new Winchester/Browning lever guns are poorly made in Japan. These American FN rifles are close reproductions of the one and only Mdl. 70.
Like I said, your opinion man. My new model 70 is without a doubt the finest rifle I've ever owned.

Is it the name stamped on the receiver that makes it what it is? Who cares? The trigger is amazing, the stock is beautiful and it functions flawlessly.

So maybe in a nostalgic way it's not the same. But to look at it, without knowing the history of Winchester, no one would ever know.

Edit: I don't own a Winchester lever gun, can't speak on the quality there, but yes, made in Japan, which I don't care for. I speak only of the model 70.

Last edited by Model70; 04-05-2012 at 03:30 PM.