Free floating a barrel and glass bedding a barrel

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Free floating a barrel and glass bedding a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Default Free floating a barrel and glass bedding a barrel

Can someone tell me the reasons, advantages , disadvantages of glass bedding versus free floating a barrel? I know it's supposed to increase accuracy but would like a deeper explanation of both. Thanks,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I know the point of free floating is so the barrel harmonics aren't affected by and outside force such as the stock.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #3

Liked 2203 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Some barrels act better with some consistent pressure near the tip of the forend of the stock. Otheres respond well to full length bedding of the barrel channel. The big thing is about making pressure on the barrel consistent, and making the vibrations of the barrel consistent. If a shorter length of the barrel is free to vibrate, then the vibrations may be more consistent.

But if you add in the moisture and temperature effects on a wooden stock then there may be variations in point of impact as seasons change, but still give you some consitency from shot to shot on the day you are shooting.

By free floating, if the barrel responds well to it, you reduce teh effects of the stock on the barrel.

Some barrels may have stressed areas that change tensions within the barrel as it heats up and cools down from shot to shot and won't respond well to free floating,a nd teh pressure pad or barrel channel bedding is still the better route for shot to shot consistency.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #4

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Thanks for the info. I don't have a need for that kind if accuracy now but have always wondered about both methods.