Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Found Gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/found-gun-39843/)

Faceless 03-16-2011 01:22 AM

Found Gun

I found a J C Higgins model 45 Lever action, probably 70's era, perfect condition in a basement of a foreclosed house I was working on. The owners are gone and not coming back, and I was wondering if there was any way to trace the serial number to find out if the gun is legal or not, I am afraid if i take it to the police i will get in trouble if there is something wrong with it (i.e. stolen, involved in shooting, something like that)

JonM 03-16-2011 01:25 AM

you wont get in trouble for asking. worst that will happen is they ask you why you waited so long. or if you dont ask and it IS stolen guess who they will claim stole it...

you could also take the serial number and make in just say im looking to buy this gun and want to know if its stolen...

first option is the best one just take it in and ask.

Thomas Carey 03-16-2011 01:48 AM

+1 you will not get in trouble with this one. =)

willshoum 03-16-2011 02:04 AM

Lost and Found.........

Silence is Golden............:eek::D

Sniper03 03-16-2011 02:11 AM

Faceless,

Find a local police officer you know and have him run an NCIC Check on it for you. He can run it without any problem as a normal routine check. If it isn't hot! I guess you have a rifle unless the previous owners come looking for it.
The only problem at that point I could see is if the previous owner would report it lost or stolen after and if they miss it later on. I believe that would be no problem to run it now and then again in about 6 months or a year from now. If it is still clean. You should be free to go and obviously they do not want or care about it! Since you have no way of knowing who owned it or how long it had been there!

30-30remchester 03-16-2011 02:20 AM

Not a legal scholar myself, but I have a question. Do you own the foreclosed house? If not did the actual owner of the house give you permission to take anything from the house? I own rental properties, anything left when the renters leave is MY property, not the person I employ to clean up after the renter. If the actual owner at the present time did not give you permission to take this gun it is my belief that he can have you charged with a felony in the theft of a firearm. Just my 2 cents worth.

whistlindixie 03-16-2011 02:25 AM

Well if its foreclosed doesn't the bank own it? I would assume that a bank wants nothing to do with a gun. If anything thats a hassle for them. Again, I'm not a bank nor a good source of legal advice, nor do I know the ins and outs of real-estate.
I would probably go 03's route.

dnthmn2004 03-16-2011 02:48 AM

+1 on sniper03. Have a buddy check it for you, hold it for a while and check again. Don't hand it in to the police though, you'll never see it again.

pioneer461 03-16-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 465639)
+1 on sniper03. Have a buddy check it for you, hold it for a while and check again. Don't hand it in to the police though, you'll never see it again.

That is not necessarilly true. The vast majority of police officers are not corrupt.

dnthmn2004 03-16-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneer461 (Post 466208)
That is not necessarilly true. The vast majority of police officers are not corrupt.

Did not mean to hint at corruption :confused:.

If you turn it in, the police will notify the owner and return it if possible. If not, it will gather dust in an evidence locker.