Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Foreign Vs. Domestic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Ok I give up still typed it wrong. :-)

Old 07-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #22

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

foreign vs domestic is an argument that gets pretty hazy these days. many want to support american made vehicles......being unaware that many american compaines have more foreign made parts than foreign cars like toyota. throw in the fact toyotas are manufactured near my back yard and it leaves you scratching your head.....

i haven't researched these issues on guns as much. but i do try to buy american guns & ammo, as long as they are good products. american firearms are still very competitive in the market imo. well made and price competitive for the most part.

what irratates me, is when an american made product CAN"T be found for certain guns. like, where is an american made coach gun? wait, they are only made in brazil, china, and italy? this is a freakin gun of the old west! sheesh....

Old 07-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

Whether we like it or not, we live in a global economy.

Most German lenses are made in Japan. Premium grade Russian Wolf ammo is made in Bosnia and a couple of other countries. Browning's have never been made in the U.S. A large percentage of Volkswagens imported to the U.S. are made in Mexico.

Many Japanese made products are assembled from parts made in Indonesia and Malaysia. Many of Buck's knives are made in China.

When you want to manufacture the highest quality product at the lowest price, sometimes you need to shop around for the parts.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I used the feel the same way about cars...then I changed my mind......

Now don't get started on all that business about most cars have foreign parts or I might throw up a little bit in my mouth.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #25

Liked 2203 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 1791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model70 View Post
It seems most American designs are all based on foreign designs. Springfield had to pay royalties to Mauser over the 1903, the Winchester Model 70 and Ruger M77 are modified Mauser actions. Both the Weatherby Mark V and the Remington 700 borrowed ideas from Mauser.
Respectfully, Browning, Stoner, Colt, Ruger, and Garand, all Americans,

brought a lot to the table.

Russians throw away more innovations and designs than you can imagine,

but since their weapons development paradigm is shrouded in secrecy,

it takes decades to see what has been lost.

I also find my preference leaning to foreign designs, at times.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2238 Times on 1452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
foreign vs domestic is an argument that gets pretty hazy these days. many want to support american made vehicles......being unaware that many american compaines have more foreign made parts than foreign cars like toyota. throw in the fact toyotas are manufactured near my back yard and it leaves you scratching your head.....

i haven't researched these issues on guns as much. but i do try to buy american guns & ammo, as long as they are good products. american firearms are still very competitive in the market imo. well made and price competitive for the most part.

what irratates me, is when an american made product CAN"T be found for certain guns. like, where is an american made coach gun? wait, they are only made in brazil, china, and italy? this is a freakin gun of the old west! sheesh....
The hazy part... I just try to buy the most American I can. My Ford truck is 30% foreign, I know. It comes down to LABOR, imo. The more we support American labor, the more people have a decent living wage, instead of selling Chinese garbage at wally world for 10$ an hour.

The auto parts factory I work in makes Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, and nissan parts. If we got rid of the latter two, I'd be out of a job.

I won't start on the foreign companies taking their profits back to the homeland...

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #27

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
The hazy part... I just try to buy the most American I can. My Ford truck is 30% foreign, I know. It comes down to LABOR, imo. The more we support American labor, the more people have a decent living wage, instead of selling Chinese garbage at wally world for 10$ an hour.

The auto parts factory I work in makes Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, and nissan parts. If we got rid of the latter two, I'd be out of a job.

I won't start on the foreign companies taking their profits back to the homeland...
i agree 100%. supporting american labor is the most important part. but like we both said, supporting american jobs, sometimes means supporting foreign companies as well. many people don't understand buying a japanese cars/products CAN & DOES support american jobs.

another thing i think so many people look over, is buying LOCAL. so many drive to the chain malls, restaurants, and huge department stores to save pennies, maybe. invest in your local small businesses!

Old 07-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2238 Times on 1452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

i agree 100%. supporting american labor is the most important part. but like we both said, supporting american jobs, sometimes means supporting foreign companies as well. many people don't understand buying a japanese cars/products CAN & DOES support american jobs.

another thing i think so many people look over, is buying LOCAL. so many drive to the chain malls, restaurants, and huge department stores to save pennies, maybe. invest in your local small businesses!
Local... Well said. Also when I comparison shop, I look at which label is made closer to where I am. Also cuts down on our reliance on foreign oil.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Local... Well said. Also when I comparison shop, I look at which label is made closer to where I am. Also cuts down on our reliance on foreign oil.
In a free society, you make your own choices.

Personally, I'm not going to pay "mom & pop" $20 for a brick of 22s that Wal-Mart sells for $12.50

Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #30
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5687 Times on 3339 Posts
Likes Given: 4841

I was happy to hear that the Nissan plant near Jackson, MS will soon be making sentras as well as the truck models. I drive a sentra that was assembled in mexico with a TN engine.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p