Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > FMJ vs. other ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FMJ vs. other ammo?

I just bought a Turk Mauser that fires 8mm Mauser. I can buy cheap ball ammo, fire a ton of rounds (my sons can get good with iron sights and a bunch of kick) AND I can hunt pigs with it. Florida Law says that FMJ or ball ammo can not be used on deer. It does not say you can't hunt pigs with it. So, my question...

How does "ball" ammo work on game? And, why is it prohibited on other game?

What about the corrosive properties of this ammo?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #2

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

No expansion = through & through and wounded game escaping harvest and dying in the field.

You do not want a hog with a "hole in me attitude", looking for you!

The only concern is the older ammo (usually military style) is corrosive both primer and powder/cordite. The nasty stuff should be cleaned in the field or range before heading home. Warm water w/small amount of soap or even coffee poured down the barrel is all you need in the short time it takes to get to your cleaning gear. The nasty stuff is water soluble.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-05-2009 at 01:35 AM.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2612 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Smokeless powder is not corrosive, but a lot of the surplus 8mm ammo has corrosive primers. There is nothing wrong with the ammo but you should clean immediately after shooting (same day). The ammonia in Windex will neutalize the corrosive salts. Remember to spray down the bore, bolt and action as the chemical that promotes rust will go any where fouling goes.

Some older ammo will experience hang fires. You will notice a slight delay between the snapping of the firing pin and actual ignition. This can be used to teach proper follow through. Jerking the trigger will cause very erratic shots with a short hang fire.

Most states regulate calibers and bullet types for hunting game animals like deer. Hogs are considered varmints and you are simpy encouraged to thin them. Generally there are no seasons or limits on varminits like hogs, ground hogs, coyotes and sometimes squirrels.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Using FMJ on game can be tricky, meaning your round will fly right through your target and transfer very little of it's kinetic energy into the animal. Hollow points and soft points are the best for hunting because they mushroom out or crush which transfer most of thier kinetic energy to your target. A headshot or heartshot is best when using FMJ's.

Saying this, I still use FMJ when I hunt coyotes with my AR because I can't afford to buy the expensive hunting loads, I just aim for the head or heart.

I would assume that the reason your state has banned the use of FMJ's for deer is because once fired they will go a long way and if your state flat, there is no hills to stop them. In Indiana we can't use high powered rifles for deer for this reason, most of Indiana (with the exception of the southern region were I live) is like the great plains and if you miss, your round goes a long way. Because of this we have to use shotguns.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #5

Default ammo

if you reload you can substitute a soft point thats same weight or lighter.
WERE did cordite come from only the british used it.no one else.the sticks are put in case in bundle and the neck is then made.the primer has potasium clorate,thats the corrosive part.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The ammonia in Windex will neutalize the corrosive salts. Remember to spray down the bore, bolt and action as the chemical that promotes rust will go any where fouling goes.
Ammonia does nothing to remove corrosive salt fouling. It works on copper fouling. All thats needed to remove corrosive primer fouling is hot water run through the barrel and bolt face areas. Windex is ,what, 99% water? Seems like expensive water to me.