Flinching?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Flinching?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Flinching?

I've been shooting for just about 25 years. I have a flinching problem I am trying to correct. I dry fire the big bore rifles, and plink with the 22lr. Is there some other things I can try to correct this issue?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

get someone to load for you while your not looking have thm occasionally leave it unloaded.

concentrate on SLOWLY squeezing the trigger while doing the above. the clicks instead of booms will give you better trainng than you knowing when its going click instead of boom.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #3

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I spent hours working on my flinching problem. It is mostly recoil anticipation with handguns. The last time I went to the range I met an interesting guy who gave me more pointers of which I started working on.
First, dry firing doesn't work for me. Flinching is mental and I know the gun won't fire so I won't flinch.
I have an old S&W 38 special revolver and I load it with a random mix of live and fired rounds. Then I practice firing double action not knowing if the gun is going to go bang or click. Also, don't aim or even put up a target. Concentrate only on the long trigger pull and being surprised with a bang or a click. It is best for another person to load the revolver so you don't know if you have six clicks or six bangs or anything in between.
For semi auto, use dummy rounds.
Hopefully the flinch will diminish and you can work on "loving" the recoil and getting the natural rhythm of it rather than fighting it by flinching.
I'm still working on my flinching but it is better.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Start plinking with the big bores.
You might want to pick up a flintlock rifle. Big flash and bang, low recoil. If you can avoid flinching with a "flinch-lock" you should be good to go.

Jons advice is quite good btw.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Flinching, we all will do it know & then, pay attention to what you are doing, practice your breathing & squeeze the trigger slowly...........Just Relax !

When all else fails.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 592

How good is your trigger? A poor trigger will induce flinching because is raises your anticipation.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #7

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I find that heavy recoil is my problem, a PAST recoil pad and heavy jacket do the trick.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

What Cheeseman said right up there ^^^.

I have one .308 that is EXTREMELY light, and has a stock that I swear was designed to wound the shooter. Found that I was flinching with that rifle- and I have been shooting heavier calibers for a long time.

Got a good recoil pad to tame that one- fixed the problem for me. Shooting from the bench makes bad recoil worse- it has nowhere to go except into your unmoving shoulder.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I get into a bit of a habit now an then, i try think of seeing it all go down in the scope as i shoot... shootong the little .22wmr an then the 222 on targets has helped with my 300wsm n becomin more accurate an less flinching.

i also applied a kikeez pad an double checked the scope will not come back the few inches at the shot if my shoulder is behind the rifle...

flinchin is a bugger but not the end of the world

Old 10-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If you shoot enough hi-power ammo anyone will start flinching. I am a big person and a lot of guns don't fit me well. The first few times I shoot a gun I just as well close my eyes and pull the trigger. After I shoot a gun a few times I lean right into into it.

To get myself back together I do a lot of shooting with 10/22 or marlin 60. I shoot tiny targets at close range that force me into good form and boost my confidence. Anytime I start flinching I stop shooting that given gun. If I stop before I am shooting with my eyes closed just a single magazine of 22LR ammo straightens me right out.

I know it's hard to do this when you are at range but not every trip to the range has to be productive. When things aren't working out just have fun. There will always be another day.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/