flinching.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > flinching.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default flinching.

im having some trouble with flinching. even when i dry fire i flinch. im not scared of recoil or anything. even when i know a guns going to go off i flinch. is there anything i can do about it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Practice will overcome the anticipation.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #3

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Keep practicing and you should be able to control this reaction with time. I would suggest starting with something small that doesn't have a lot of recoil and get used to making a smooth squeeze of the trigger. Even a .22 LR would work great for a starting point. It would be a big mistake to jump right in there with a big bore cartridge and try to get used to the recoil immediately. I have seen people get turned off by the recoil and not like shooting. Many folks have made the mistake of starting small children off with something like a 12 gauge instead of a .410 or 20 gauge.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #4

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

put in a snap cap , close your eyes and dry fire the rifle over and over , this will help get over the flinching

Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
...I would suggest starting with something small that doesn't have a lot of recoil and get used to making a smooth squeeze of the trigger...
You called it right. I have a .177 BB pistol with spring power and shoot it all the time just to practice aim, steadiness, and trigger control. I sure does help in performance when I go to the range with the big bore guns.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #6

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

After shooting for so many years with a lot of different rifles and handguns I still had to get used to the recoil of my .44 mag. My Super Blackhawk kicked a lot more than my other handguns, even the .357 mag. It took a little practice but now I am quite comfortable squeezing off those .44 mag rounds.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

Liked 267 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 27

How about caliber, and rifle model.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #8

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

One of the big problems is trigger control. When the gun goes bang, it should be a suprise. Many people will put the the 1st joint of their index finger on the trigger. Incorrect!! The trigger should be behind the cuticle. Don't try and strangle your rifle. Relax. Jerking and flinching are two seperate issues.
Start w/ a larger bore rifle, then shoot a .22lr. Anything you are doing wrong will be magnafied. Switch between them as the day progresses. Breathe, relax.
Get up once and a while and step back.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #9

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

i know some guys who have flinching problems shooting skeet they have these fancy triggers you pull the trigger hold it when your ready to shoot you let go that releases the firing pin i cant remember what there called but it aliminates there flinching,i dont know this could be applied to a rifle though.ill ask my buddy next time i see him.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.