Flat Shooting Caliber?? - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Flat Shooting Caliber??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #91
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
After viewing the video on the 26 Nosler, when you close the video window you get an info page. At the bottom, you can recommend the cartridge to your favorite gun-maker.

After you vote, the results so far are displayed. - Two manufacturers are chosen more often than all of the others by a wide margin. - Remington and Savage.

To my way of thinking, Savage is the natural vehicle for this cartridge as home barrel-swaps are very easy with the Savage. When the throat area burns out, a few hundred bucks and fifteen minutes later - you've got a new barrel!

For this reason, I would not consider any other gun maker for a magnum cartridge... For a 280 for example , yes I would look at other brands... For a 7mm Remington Magnum, Savage only.

Also, Savage is not having to make serial recalls as Remington currently is having to do.

I think I will contact Savage and recommend this cartridge for their line.
i voted for Marlin!

yes, the Savage would be an excellent choice for that cartridge. even if Savage doesn't chamber one factory, all you would need is a long action receiver, and get in touch with one of the custom barrel makers, and you would have one in a short while.
People Like This 
Old 08-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #92

Liked 1322 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I did some research on the .26 because it is attention getter but I do have some concerns about it including the recoil. Yes it's 6.5mm bullet but the case is based on a .404 Jefferys!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/26Nosler.htm
Personally,I think the 26 Nosler will be a shortly lived cartridge,as are a lot of wildcats. For a hunting rifle,it will have a good life,for a rifle that serves as a target/hunting rifle,you better have a few new barrels setting in the corner for it. You will probably be changing them out at least once a year.

Shooters of the 6.5-284 can tell you how short a life they have with their barrels,and this screamer will only be worse.
North American Hunting Club
TLuker Likes This 
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #93

Liked 229 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i voted for Marlin!

yes, the Savage would be an excellent choice for that cartridge. even if Savage doesn't chamber one factory, all you would need is a long action receiver, and get in touch with one of the custom barrel makers, and you would have one in a short while.
I've got to try one of the Marlin bolt actions, they look good.