First time mosin - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > First time mosin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67

You MUST shoot it standing next time with a hasty sling. Then you can truly say you've been kicked by a mule with that stock tight into your shoulder
Haha well there were people on the firing line including the range officer. I had to save face. Next time I'm just going to go for it. But seriously, I have to hand it to the Russians. How does the recoil compare to that of the Mauser and m1 Garand?

Old 07-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #12

Liked 2404 Times on 1407 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Mauser can be similar in kick. The Garand soaks up a bit of recoil with the gas system and cycling of the action, plus its a heavier gun.

I actually think the Mosin feels less severe when fired standing, because your body moves a bit more to make it seem like it isn't punching you as hard.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 07-12-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:40 AM   #13
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Can't comment on the Mauser, but as SSGN_Doc stated, the Garand recoil is much better absorbed. You must get one and find out

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 07-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #14

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I find the recoil pads are a great help. IME the cold shot is

the most accurate.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67
Can't comment on the Mauser, but as SSGN_Doc stated, the Garand recoil is much better absorbed. You must get one and find out
Ya know what, I think I'll go out and get one. I don't know how to do green font. Lol. But really, If I could afford one, I'd have one in a heartbeat. That's been a dream gun of mine since I was a kid. I was reading another thread on here about the cmp I think it's called that sells garands. I couldn't really find a line on what the cheapest one you can get is though.

Once I'm in the position to buy guns regularly I think I'm going to look in to getting a c&r ffl. Until I bought this mosin I didn't realize how much I like old guns. I've always been interested in them but now I want to own them.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post
Ya know what, I think I'll go out and get one. I don't know how to do green font. Lol. But really, If I could afford one, I'd have one in a heartbeat. That's been a dream gun of mine since I was a kid. I was reading another thread on here about the cmp I think it's called that sells garands. I couldn't really find a line on what the cheapest one you can get is though.

Once I'm in the position to buy guns regularly I think I'm going to look in to getting a c&r ffl. Until I bought this mosin I didn't realize how much I like old guns. I've always been interested in them but now I want to own them.
CMP is the best place to obtain a Garand, although there's a 4-6 month wait to get a Service Grade via mail. There are some requirements, so check the store site. http://www.thecmp.org/sales.htm

I would suggest checking the CMP forum, your local rifle clubs (even the member's only ones), or the State Rifle Assoc, and find out when and where a CMP Garand match is being held. Get in touch with that club and see if they have any Garands you can shoot for newbies. That's how I got started with it, and provided you shoot safely and reasonably well, you'll get the CMP certificate too, which would take the place of one of the purchasing requirements. Shooting a match isn't required, but why not? And then the addiction will really start.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #17

Awesome thanks for the info. I'd love to get my hands on one before I buy and I never really thought of that as a means to do so.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #18

Liked 206 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I find the 91-30 to have a tolerable kick, but the M44 wants to abuse my shoulder quite a bit. Thanks for the info on the source for the rubber buttplate.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

The M/N, Mauser, and 1903 Springfield have roughly comparable recoil. My M38 HURTS!

Shooting one will also give you an appreciation for the THICK winter uniforms worn by Russian soldiers- recoil pads.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #20

Tolerable to a point. I shot about 16 rounds through it and I decided to call it quits. Nothin a little ibuprofen can't fix though. I was considering trading my 91/30 with my friend if he buys the m44, but If the recoil's worse than the 91/30 I may reconsider.

I'll have to wear my winter parka out next time and get in the spirit of the gun.