Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > First-time Buyer, looking for advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First-time Buyer, looking for advice

Hey Everyone,

Not only am I new to these forums, I am also new to the world of guns. Two of my best friends are avid hunters, and I've tagged along with them on trips a few times and quite enjoyed myself. Long story short, I've decided to pick up a rifle, and begin practicing so that I may partake in these trips in the future!

I'm seeking advice on the following:

A solid, all around rifle that does not exceed $1500 and a scope that does not exceed $1000. Meaning I have a max budget of about $2500 and don't really believe its necessary to start with a rifle exceeding the $1500 mark.

Through research I have discovered that I will most likely decide on a .300 or .308 WIN calibre rifle as the flight paths seem the "flattest" and ammo is most accessible where I live - this however is not set in stone. Remington is a name that I am most familiar with, but I am seeking advice on other alternatives as well as particular Remington models within the 700 series that might be suitable for a rifle! I am also quite fond of the Zeiss Conquest HD5 scope (3-15X42 model).

What uses will this rifle serve:

My friends hunt in both forest and open plain settings, and target game as large as moose and black bear. I also live 5 minutes from an 800 yard range, and would like to purchase a combo that I could hunt with (generally up to about 200 yards from what I've seen) but also thoroughly enjoy at the range without worrying about too much heat in the barrel - I've read fluted barrels dissipate heat faster, but am not sure if this is really such a large issue for most rifles in the first place.

Anyways, any help on the topic is much appreciated, and I thank-you all in advance for your input!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

My CZ-550 in .308 with Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 with illuminated dot costs a little over 2000 dollars. It is a smooth Mauser action, and very accurate. It holds five rounds. The iron sights are excellent. I hunt with this set up in the day, low-light and at night. I hunt Roe deer, fallow deer, red deer, Russian and German boar. One shot takes them down every time.

001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg  

Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1098 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 626

fot that budget there really are endless options. marlin x7 is a good option and far under your budget. to say the 308 is a flat shooting cartridge might get you kicked in the nuts.. there are a lot better flatter shooting calibers, like the 7mm mag for example. and for the long long shots i would suggest it. but for hunting to 200 yards the .308 would perform very well. its acutally what i use. i have a winchester mod 70 in .308.

having a good scope makes all the differences.. you really have a great budget to work with for your next purchase.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Thats a lot of money for a hunting rifle. Are you going to get upset when you get your first marks on it if it is a wood finish? Is it going to be synthetic? etc, etc. Any of the top 6 or so name brands are great rifles for around 500 to 700 dollars. A good scope is anywhere from 250 to 500 dollars. Unless you are spending 10 grand on an african safari hunt, you don't need a 1000 dollar scope.
I prefer 3x9x40 scopes for an overall hunting scope.
A 30.06 is about the best for overall hunting in North America. Other calibers can do specific things better, but the 30.06 can do them all well. for a 1 gun battery.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 06-22-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
My CZ-550 in .308 with Meopta Meostar 3-12x56 with illuminated dot costs a little over 2000 dollars. It is a smooth Mauser action, and very accurate. It holds five rounds. The iron sights are excellent. I hunt with this set up in the day, low-light and at night. I hunt Roe deer, fallow deer, red deer, Russian and German boar. One shot takes them down every time.
I've taken a look at the CZ-550 and am quite interested by them. Which model exactly do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Thats a lot of money for a hunting rifle. Are you going to get upset when you get your first marks on it if it is a wood finish? Is it going to be synthetic? etc, etc. Any of the top 6 or so name brands are great rifles for around 500 to 700 dollars. A good scope is anywhere from 250 to 500 dollars. Unless you are spending 10 grand on an african safari hunt, you don't need a 1000 dollar scope.
I prefer 3x9x40 scopes for an overall hunting scope.
A 30.06 is about the best for overall hunting in North America. Other calibers can do specific things better, but the 30.06 can do them all well. for a 1 gun battery.
Could you or anyone by chance elaborate on what specific things the .300/.308/30.06 are good for?

And regarding the scratches and what not, i'm not at all concerned! I'm willing to spend a little extra for an effective combo and consider any dings or scratches collected as "signs of passage" if anything haha. I'm far more concerned with performance than the visual aspects!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Robotrix, Since your new to firearms,you may want to start out with a smaller caliber with less recoil. Most shooters that begin with a larger hunting caliber develop bad habits from dealing with the recoil.
You might look at the 6.5 x 55 Swede,that caliber will take down a moose with no problem as well as black bear. The 308 is a good caliber,but in today's ammo climate,can be hard to find. The 30/06 is a great all around caliber,but does have more recoil,ammo is almost always available for it anywhere. I wouldn't suggest starting off with a 300 WM,it shoots the same bullets as the 308-30/06,just a little faster with a lot more recoil and I've never seen an animal with a radar gun.

Any of the major brands will have guns that fit your needs and budget,$1500 will get you a very nice rifle,and the Zeiss scope is an excellent choice.
The Winchester 70,CZ 550,Savage 14/114 16/116 series,Thompson Center Icon / Venture would all be nice rifles to start with on your budget.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Robo,

TX is exactly correct regarding recoil and the new shooter when it comes to rounds equivalent to the 300 Win Mag. or 7 MM Remington Mag. I would not recommend anything larger than the 308 for your first rifle. If I had the budget you mentioned to purchase a rifle at this time. I am a Remington 700 CDL guy normally. But with the budget mentioned I would choose a SAKO Rifle possibly a Model 85 in 308 or ("30-06 Max.") in your case and a Leupold VXIII 3.5 X 10 Illum. Reticle Model 54912 for hunting. The SAKOs are know for their quality and accuracy, not that others are not, but the actions are great. My 7mm Rem Mag. CDL above shoots sub 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards so the SAKO is not the only good accurate rifle but you should look and feel the action on the SAKO if you can locate one. Might be worth a look.
Good Luck on your selection and welcome to this great sport! Looking forward to hearing in the future what you selected and also see pictures and a range report.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotrix View Post
I've taken a look at the CZ-550 and am quite interested by them. Which model exactly do you use?

Could you or anyone by chance elaborate on what specific things the .300/.308/30.06 are good for?

And regarding the scratches and what not, i'm not at all concerned! I'm willing to spend a little extra for an effective combo and consider any dings or scratches collected as "signs of passage" if anything haha. I'm far more concerned with performance than the visual aspects!
It is the CZ-550 Synthetic, but I think it is called the "American" in the States (?) Can anybody on the forum confirm this? This is the total package from my LGS...

http://www.frankonia.de/375682/260850/productdetail.html?pagingSize=32&lastSelected=f_s_ marke&sortOption=f_n_sortmatrix_70_30_30_30&f_s_ma rke=CZ&page=0&displayType=gallery&articleNumber=16 1531&navCategoryId=6748

Old 06-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotrix View Post

The 30 caliber has so many more types of bullets to choose from from a reloading perspective, than any other caliber. You can go down to roughly 55 grains, and up to 225 grains or so. That speaks volumes in hunting game. There are many books and articles written on the 30.06 as being the one gun to have if you can only own one hunting rifle.

The kick isn't bad, and if you need to, you can tame it by adding a better aftermarket recoil pad (limbsaver).

If money is not a problem, look at a Sako. Then a CZ. If you still haven't found the one for you, start looking at the Remingtons, Rugers, Savages, etc.

Or .....

Get a good 600 dollar gun, and buy all the reloading equipment you will ever need with the other 900 dollars.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #10

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

I'm another Sako fan. Sometimes you can find someone selling one who doesn't know what they are, just because it isn't a Remington, Winchester, or Savage.

Tikka is another sleeper brand.

As Anna said above the CZ, Remy, Winchester and Savage are fine too.