First Rifle Wishes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > First Rifle Wishes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default First Rifle Wishes

Guys,
Trying to make my way for the first time from the handgun world to the rifle world. I would like to do some hunting at some point, and in my part of the world that means most often deer and elk (though I did have a mountain lion in my back yard one morning this winter staring in at me through the patio doors!). I have selected a 30-06 for its all-around performance. I would love to get a nice laminated wood stock since I love the look of wood but know that straight wood stocks aren't always the most practical. Would also love a fluted barrel, but I am an old guy so I don't need alot of extra pounds. Anyone out there have some recommendations for a newby? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1843 Times on 1262 Posts
Likes Given: 672

How much do you want to spend on this rifle?

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the question--guess that is important too. I am lucky to be at the stage in life where price is not a big consideration. Anything up to about $1500 wouldn't have to be taken up with the wife. Anything up to $2000 would be acceptable without much debate.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

absolutely nothing wrong with a laminated stock. any kind of price range you are after? For starters, Id go to a local Big box gun store that has a large selection and hold an american type rifle stock up and then a monte carlo type stock up to your cheek and see which one feels better to u. I prefer the monte carlo feel better. Then when you know which type fit best for you, then a price range would be nice. Most rifles in the 400 600 and up dollar range are all fine brands, its just your preference on what you like that counts.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:50 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Good luck in your search. My advice?

- Go to many gun stores and maybe gun shows
- Hold many rifles and see which fits you the best, which is most comfortable, etc.
- Buy the favorite

30-06 is a heckuva caliber. Nothing wrong with it of course. I recommend getting a recoil pad of some sort to throw on the buttstock.

Always have clean socks.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:57 AM   #6

Liked 2290 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 500

I love the .30-06. Laminated wood holds up well, but it can be heavy for carrying. Good luck. My favorite is a Sako. Tikka rifles are nice also.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:07 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

with the 30-06 as your caliber of choice, and one i highly recommend as well, there will be no shortage of new or used rifles chambered in that cartridge.

with the budget you listed, is that for the rifle alone or both rifle and scope? either way, it's still a decent budget that will give you lots of options.

as suggested, hit the gun stores and try out as many as possible. also within your budget, check out used rifles as well. you never know, that you might find a very lightly used gem of a rifle for a decent price.

whatever rifle you find, pair it up with a quality scope. a good scope of about 3-9 or up to about 4-12 power should do nicely.

if you don't reload, that is one of the great things about the 30-06 is the selection of factory ammo available for it.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:10 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

For colorado mountainous hunting (if thats where you plan on elk hunting, I personally wouldn't get anything larger than a 3 by 9. The lower the power the better for thick forests, and brush, and can still get a good look across canyons, etc.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 471 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I would assume you are looking more at bolt action rifles, but there are several options in self loaders and pump and lever guns in 30-06 as well. Topped with a Leupold or a Hikon scope, you would have an excellent all around rifle. I prefer 7mm Remington magnum in my custom Mauser, but I have .300 magnums and others,,, for a single rifle in your stable, the 30-06 is very hard to beat for it's versatility and availability of ammo selections.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1843 Times on 1262 Posts
Likes Given: 672

High power scopes are not so easy to use without support. If you go to academy they have scopes mounted on blue plastic rifles. Take a 3x scope and swing it like you would if you were shooting at running game. Try the same with a 12x scope. With the 12x scope all you will see is a black spot and blur.

I like weatherby rifles for bolt action and semi auto browning rifles. The new model 70 looks very attractive but I have yet to shoot a new model 70. My Model 70 was made in the mid 70's. It shoots very well. In fact, it is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I put it on a lead sled it put 3 holes in an area about the size of a club on a playing card.

Going back to weatherby. Weatherby guarantees their rifles to shoot a 1" or less group with factory ammo. With your budget I would consider a Mark V. The Mark V has a steel reinforced walnut stock.

The range certified Mark V does have a hand laminated stock. It also has a $4K price tag to go with it. Weatherby does offer a range certified Vangaurd, but it has a synthetic stock. The Vangaurd is a howa 1500 with a nice stock and a 1" guarantee. I would rather buy a Howa 1500 for half price without the warranty and a Hogue over molded stock.

Savage offers some very nice rifles equipped with a nikon scope. I like the way that savages shoot but the stocks are to small for me. I would have to buy a stock on day one to enjoy a savage. If you are not 6'4" with a heavy frame the savage stock might not be an issue for you.

www.budsgunshop.com is good site to get an idea of what a rifle costs. On a $1000 rifle you might find it for $50 less at another shop.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 04-15-2014 at 11:28 AM.
jpattersonnh Likes This