Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   first rifle question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/first-rifle-question-22582/)

jonnymach 01-25-2010 04:58 AM

first rifle question

I have fired a quite a few, Tikka t3 tactical in a .223, GA Precision 700 in a .308, a few ar15's, an 870, ruger in a .338, savage in a .30 06 to name a few. but i have never owned a rifle. I liked shooting the .308 the best. for two reasons. The first being the short action, the second being the accuracy. i realize with my budget i won't be able to afford a rifle that shoots as good as the .308 i was shooting.

some rifles i have been looking at have been
savage 111 fxp3
remington 770
mossberg 100 ATR

budget is in the 500 area with glass. i am aware i'm not gonna get much but i wanna get the most i can so i don't kick myself in the butt in a few months cause i'm not happy, because i was cheap. if thats what is gonna happen i would rather wait and save up more.

red ryder 01-25-2010 05:10 AM

what are you going to be using the rifle for?

if just to shoot stuff (targets, cans, squirells, birds, woodchucks, rabbits, other assorted objects you can find laying around the farm....)?

if thats the case get a .22LR super cheap to shoot, and you can hone you skills very easily.

thats primarily what i shoot, only take out the centerfires for hunting really.

I have a winchester .22 pump and a marlin .22 lever. love them both, but looking for a bolt action next.

consider a ruger 10/22, semi automatic and tons of fun.

Zacsquatch 01-25-2010 05:20 AM

You can never go wrong with a Savage... For the money, it is the best out of the box. My first rifle was a savage 110 series in .243, which is a necked down 308. I have fired hundreds of rounds and takin 80 someodd deer and numerous woodchucks and it still holds 1" groups at 100 yards and is smooth as butter. Mine is pre accutrigger so your new rifle will be even sweeter... GREAT GUN

And if you are a DIYer, free floating and bedding the barrel can be done in a weekend for under $50 for even better bench results

The_Kid 01-25-2010 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnymach (Post 218097)
budget is in the 500 area with glass. i am aware i'm not gonna get much but i wanna get the most i can so i don't kick myself in the butt in a few months cause i'm not happy, because i was cheap. if thats what is gonna happen i would rather wait and save up more.

I think sub-moa accuracy is the norm, not the exception.

I bought a Howa 1500 30-06 that came with a $150 scope for $450; it shoots 3 shot sub-moa groups at 300 yards with every bullet type I've tried so far.

If you want accuracy, get a bolt action rifle with a free floated barrel. It depends on what you are using it for as far as what chamber you'll want.

cpttango30 01-25-2010 07:34 AM

Dump that Remington off your list that is the junkiest rifle I have seen. I would be scared to shoot it honestly.

I would go with the Savage you might also look at Setvens 200 as well. Good rifle for $250

JonM 01-25-2010 01:10 PM

save money until you can get the one you really want. instead of buying that soda or pack of cigs or going to the movies put that money into your rifle fund until you have the one you want rather than settling for a lesser one and wishing you had a different one. there is no rush atm. reich fuhrer obama is focused on healthcare still.

dteed4094 01-25-2010 01:56 PM

Stevens 200

2X what Tango says. I have a new Stevens 200 that I really like.

Wambli 01-25-2010 09:59 PM

If you have a Dicks Sporting Goods in your area they have been selling Remington 700 SPS Varmint (heavy barrel) in .308 and .223 for about $499, scope included. I don't know if the scope is any good but you can always upgrade later. The SPS is a great basic rifle that lends itself to upgrading as you aquire the experience and cash to do so. They are the basis for many fine custom target rigs.

SirGeorgeKillian 01-25-2010 11:53 PM

I would shop around at the local gun shops. You could find a deal used. Also keep an eye out for any upcoming gun shows, I have got some real jewels that way.

cpttango30 01-26-2010 12:34 AM

Look don't forget to look at the used racks. Right now is a great time deer season is over or almost over in most of the country the credit card bills are now rolling in and people are looking for money in a bad way. I know here this is the time to hit the mom and pop shops and pawn shops looking for a good steal on deer rifles.