Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > first rifle that isn't a .22 (opinions needed)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default first rifle that isn't a .22 (opinions needed)

Me and my father each have our own bigger guns. I have a Mosin Nagant and he has a Springfield. My lil bro wants to jump in and get his own bolt action rifle too. Poppa and I don't really know what to get em. He really likes the R700. http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/10/20078000/ngbbs4abc2be7e7dfe.jpg
We said that it costs to much.
So now we do not know what to get him. He wants a bolt action synthetic stock that is in the higher caliber, but that is it. So what are some of you guys suggestions?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #2

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Stevens or Savage 200. What are you going to use it on in Ohio? Probably 22.250, 243, 308. If you are shooting paper, a 223 is inexpensive to shoot. If money is a major factor, get him a Mosin. I thought Ohio was shotgun only?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
Stevens or Savage 200. What are you going to use it on in Ohio? Probably 22.250, 243, 308. If you are shooting paper, a 223 is inexpensive to shoot. If money is a major factor, get him a Mosin. I thought Ohio was shotgun only?
We shoot them at paper..... way out there. IDK how far it is, but you'd be hard presses to shoot it with iron sights.

This is true about the shot guns.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

It's hard to beat Savage for price and out of the box accuracy and value. The 200 In either Savage or Stevens are available in several calibers. I don't recommend the packaged guns but if you can't mount your own scope that might be the way to go. You should be able to get one for around $300 without the scope.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Stevens model 200 is a good rifle for the price. I'd like to suggest the Marlin XL-7/XS-7. It sells for about 300$, has a version of the Accu-Trigger, Comes with scope bases, and shoots/performs well in excess of what you would expect for a 300$ rifle. The Marlin XL-7 is a long action that comes chambered in 25-06, .270, and 30-06. The XS-7 comes in .243, 7mm08 (my choice), and .308.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!