first rifle - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > first rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Newbie shooters with 10/22's and Marlin 60s if left to their own devices don't learn how to shoot, they learn how to spray a boatload of ammo and develop REALLY bad shooting habits.

If you go the route of a .22 then get a decent (Marlin and Savage make good fairly inexpensive .22s) Bolt action with a scope and find someone that actually knows what they are doing to teach you solid fundamentals. If you want to skip that step and go centerfire then a .223 will do just about anything you need done up to deer (YES DEER) using appropriate bullets designed for the game being hunted.

Savage and Remington have decent scope/gun package deals not too far away from the price point you stated and they make for great starter rifles.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #22

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
223 1s a little light for any medium sized game,(Deer,Boar) Sure you can kill them but not efficiently. I certainly dont want to be in the neighborhood when you take your first gun (a 223) bore hunting, at any distance.
With all due respect, what the heck is an efficient kill? Dead is dead...

My cousin just took a big ol' Georgia hog with a XD-45 with a 200gr. hollow point to the shoulder and rolled it. Unless you are after Hogzilla a good heavy bullet .223 to the heart or head will put one down just fine. Deer are not wearing kevlar either. Seen plenty of them taken with .223 with proper bullets all one shot DRT. Hell the last one I saw was a complete pass through the chest at 125 yards with a Match HP bullet (not even a good hunting bullet). The sucker fell like hit by lightning and the exit hole was nasty. Bullet turned the heart and lungs into jelly...

My other buddy was laughed at because he brought a 30-06 with old military surplus FMJ ammo to a buffalo hunt. All the boys with the .338 Win Mags needed follow up shots. When his turn came he laid the crosshair on the head of a big bull and dropped it in it's tracks. I'm a firm believer in taking enough gun BUT if a person learns to shoot WELL and where the vitals of his game animal are there is no reason he needs to up-gun. That is just false insurance...

Sorry, I guess I'm a bit tired of the mythical powers folks assign to the game we hunt.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #23

Right. A well placed shot with a cartridge that is capable of getting to the "good stuff" can ethically take game. Making a bigger hole doesn't guarantee that you will have a clean kill especially if the nut on the other side of the trigger doesn't do his/her job. I don't recommend taking a shot at a deer with a .223 unless you are able to do your job. If you preform sub par, then that is where the shot becomes unethical and that doesn't matter if you are using a *insert your favorite cal you hunt with here*. Out of all the chuckelheads that have made comments when I hunt with a .223, I have never had to track a shot deer very far.

Newest Threads