first rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > first rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I don't think you know what you want. I think you know what you dream about but be realistic, going from a gamo to a tack driver at 500 yards??

Go out and buy a used 10/22 or a model 60 if you want an autoloader or just follow Bear's advice and get a 22LR bolt gun.

Baby steps or you will find yourself running headlong into disappointment. We need to retain as many shooters as possible. Too many looney lefty's out there.

Enjoy the journey and avoid shortcuts to your destination of shooting bliss.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-07-2010, 01:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by allout13 View Post
hey guys,
new to the board this is my first post. I currently have a gamo pellet rifle (1200fps) that i use to hunt squirrels with but just turned 18 so time for a real one. Any suggestion on a first gun? hopefully decently cheap, but good quality, accurate, for small game hunting/target shooting.
thanks,
mike

I would look at something like this:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/57449

While a .22 is a great place to start, a .223 will give you a little more versatility. A well placed shot can take a deer ethically, will handle all the smaller stuff just fine, and will let you "stretch your legs" as well.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #13

what are your thoughts on a remington 700? also ammo is a big factor, cheap but shoot decently straight. once again personal error will account for more than the gun error so it doesnt have to be perfect but its always nice to dream!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #14

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

You've mentioned cheap ammo a few times. 22 ammo is as cheap as it comes.

I know you dream of something bigger but a 22 is a great "first rifle." It is more than a rifle, it can be a major factor in developing your shooting abilities. Stick with me...

Friends and family come down to my house all the time to shoot rifles and such. I have a nephew that could not hit the broad side of a barn at 300 yards. So the next time he came down I tried to get him shooting better by him and my brother taking turns at 100 yards with the 30-30. He was hitting almost every shot.

Next we moved back to 200 and he hit one or 2 then started missing again. I noticed he was rubbing his shoulder ever once and awhile. I then noticed he was jerking the trigger. I tried to get him to squeeze the trigger but it was too late, he developed a flinch and no stressing of how important it was to squeeze the trigger was helping.

I went to the house and grabbed the bolt action 22lr and we went back to 100 yards. The first 5 shots he missed from the flinch, but since the kick wasn't there he started to trust in the squeeze. The last 5 shots he took were all hits.

I then bypassed 200 for one shot with the 30-06 at 300. He hit it. That was maybe his 20th shot with a high powered rifle and

All due to the use of a tool; a 22 rifle.

Go find a used 22 rifle, or at least the cheapest one you can find so you can first get used to the bang, before you go for a boom with a kick.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

At the risk of over stepping on in my 2nd post here I would second the .223.
It is a very mild round that can be used on a much larger number of game animals once you learn how to shoot it safely and well. Ammo is very reasonably priced and readily available. plus how many have been introduced successfully to the art of firing a rifle with a .223 in the armed forces. You can't argue with there success especially the Marines.
I should add that if you get a good quality though not necessarily expensive bolt action rifle (Remington, Savage, Winchester, Tikka etc.) you can with practice shoot out to and beyond 500 yds with a .223. It is not ideal of coarse but it will do it.

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 02-11-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #16

another vote for the .22lr here. you can get a decent .22 rifle and rimfire scope for under 200 bucks then save money and practice until you squirrel away enough for a nice centerfire rifle.

decent .22 with scope-under 200 bucks. ammo-around 20 bucks for about 500 rounds.

decent .223 with a scope-500+. ammo-around 10 bucks for 20 rounds.

not rocket science.

just sayin.....

Old 02-11-2010, 03:29 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
another vote for the .22lr here. you can get a decent .22 rifle and rimfire scope for under 200 bucks then save money and practice until you squirrel away enough for a nice centerfire rifle.

decent .22 with scope-under 200 bucks. ammo-around 20 bucks for about 500 rounds.

decent .223 with a scope-500+. ammo-around 10 bucks for 20 rounds.

not rocket science.

just sayin.....
Granted but then you could buy used or walk into any number of Dicks Sporting Goods stores and walk out with a .223 or larger for that matter with a scope for around $400.00 or less if you wait for sales and never have to buy another if you so choose and still hunt about anything in North America short or bear or moose. just sayin.........

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 02-11-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #18

Everybodys first rifle should be a 22. Cheap practice, lots of fun, and easy to tear down and clean. The 17HMR is lots of fun, flat, and a nice bullet coefficient. If your hunting small game anything bigger is not necessary. But, if you still want something bigger I suggest a 25-06. Just remember bullet prices when buying. And if you havent shot alot of guns maybe a saftey class.

In Liberty, FiveF

Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #19

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Anything?

223 1s a little light for any medium sized game,(Deer,Boar) Sure you can kill them but not efficiently. I certainly dont want to be in the neighborhood when you take your first gun (a 223) bore hunting, at any distance. take your Gamo out for yotes, about the same. 223 would be a good first gun but you also need to know the gun's limitations as well as your own. 22lr is the answer. hunt small game and varmits, Then choose your gun according to your skill level and the game you are hunting. Anything will kill paper.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 02-11-2010 at 07:13 AM.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #20

.22 .223 .243 any of those, although .243 is kinda expensive but a .22 or .223 will keep you shooting and for cheap but .223's are expensive so my true opinion is a ruger 10/22 i have one with a tact. stock with a 50 round clip now that will help you with target practice and if you get good enough that ruger can get tight groups out to 100yds with open sights