First Rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > First Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd STRONGLY recommend you stay away from package deals. In the factory package deals they install the cheapest scopes they can. Instead just buy the rifle, mounts (bases/rings), and a decent scope. Decent scopes can be had for as little as 120-150$. If you go with a package scope sooner or later it'll "go bad" or you'll wind up replacing it anyway.

The reason I don't like barrel mounted or scout style scopes is it severely limits your field of view unless you have the scope turned down to a low magnification setting. Also it forbids the use of "regular" scopes due to the excessive eye relief when mounted scout style.

There are several rifles that will fit your needs, you just have to decide the features/looks you want. I'm positive that the scout rifle you're looking at is drilled & tapped for conventional scope mounting, as well as the barrel bases.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

I agree with stalkingbear. If you go that way, the scopes included with the packages are Ok to just get you going but it's the first upgrade you want to make.

Since you live in CT look at Dicks Sporting Goods, last time I was there they had Reington SPS 700s on clearance in the high $400's and Remington is doing a $40 rebate on them. The varmint barrel SPS .308 is not a true heavy barrel, more like a heavy sporter weight and it's not a bad compromise for a hunt/target combo shooting gun. Excellent entry level rifle with plenty of upgrade parts available for 700s out there.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #13

Liked 739 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 770

Hell, if you live in Conn. you could take a drive up here. I know where a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag is that is new. It has Irons that need front blade, about $15.00 from Savage. They were shipped without front blades years ago. The rifle is 15 years old and never fired. $275.00 includes transfer. My FFL is semi retired and bought this rifle all those years ago. Looks like mine but w/ darker wood and iron sights.(no scope)