Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > First Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Rifle

I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I am trying to kill many birds with 1 stone. I would say that its primary use will be hunting/target shooting. I am looking to keep cost down, so nothing crazy for the first time. I am apt to want to add bells and whistles to it to start or later on. So things like the ability to add a scope and bi-pod at good...although i would say a scoop is a must. I am partial to a detachable magazine, since if there is ever a need, and I hope there isn't I would like to be able to expand my ammo carrying capacity.

I have done a bit a research, and I am finding the Savage Arms seems to fit the bill for most things. But I though who better to ask them people that own and have likely fired more of these rifles then I. The only things I have fired are the various military rifles I used to fix while I was in the service, but no one is selling a legal M-249 or M-242.

So, in short what I am looking for:
Caliber:308
Magazine: detachable if possible
Scope: must be able to mount one, but if it comes with a cheap one I wont complain
Bi-pod capable: would be nice, but not required
Weight: light is good, but I would complain up to say 10lbs, most rifles are much lighter
Action: I would prefer bolt for cost reasons, but if someone can give a reason to pick something else I am open to suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #2

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dunno about the others, but I'd love to own an M1a, in some flavor.

7.62, as you requested.
removable magazines, 20 shots standard.
Can put any manner of accessories on it.
Accurate to any range you'd need.

Semi auto...not bolt...sorry...but one of the most proven actions out there...rotating bolt like the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine...Mini-14 and Mini-30. Highly reliable and robust.

However, they tend to be a little spendy. For anything new they start around 1200 bucks.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 12-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #3

Remington 700- the msrp from their site says they start at just over 600 and go up from there, but you can get them cheaper used. paid 400 for mine.

stevens (made by savage) model 200 short-those start at 404 dollars new.

both are good first rifles made by dependable companies. they are both also pre drilled for a scope and have sling swivels attached (so you can get a bi pod), and both can come chambered in .308.

one of these is where i would start. they may not be a Browning a-bolt or x-bolt, but they will serve you well for half the cost.

i went with a rem 700 in .30-06 because it was the rifle i wanted but i could have just as easily gone with anything made by savage. they are both known for being reasonably priced rifles that shoot accurately right out of the box with no modifications (after you add your scope of course).

ps- just noticed that you would prefer a detachable mag. i wouldn't get too hung up on that as that feature alone could add hundreds to your purchase in mods or buying a more expensive gun. for a reasonably priced bolt gun the internal box mag should do you just fine.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #4

I would love to have an M1A, they are super awesome. Don't get me wrong I would love to have semi-auto, I am just saying I would prefer bolt action opposed to say lever action that some have suggested for a quick second shot while hunting.

As to the second post, I am not hung up on detachable mags, I would just prefer it. Like I said I am trying to kill many birds with 1 stone. If it drives the price way up, then I would forgo detachable mags.

One I am considering is the Savage Arms 10FMC Scout Specialty Series Rifle. Basically comes with everything, but sometimes that does not mean it is all good stuff.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Check the law

Before you make a decision, check the laws in the state you will be hunting in as to allowable actions and calibers. You won't hunt in Pa. with a semi auto rifle. I highly recomend the Savage but some models don't have removeable magazines. they make some of the most accurate, out of the box rifles. If money is a consideration you may look at a Stevens, made by Savage and argueablly just as accurate.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Old 12-22-2009, 03:35 AM   #6

Right now I will only be hunting in my current state, of Connecticut, and this is directly for the CT DEP hunting guide

Legal Firearms: 12, 16, or 20 gauge shotgun loaded with single soft
alloy projectile ammunition. Rifl ed or smoothbore
barrels allowed. Shotgun must not be capable of
holding more than 3 shells. Centerfi re rifl e 6mm
(.243 caliber) or larger, or muzzleloader (.45
caliber minimum).

I don't see anything in there about semi-auto, but I would never use and M1A to hunt anyways. To me that is strictly a target shooting rifle. Well, unless I am trying to shoot and entire herd of animals and they are all standing near each other.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauler78 View Post
Right now I will only be hunting in my current state, of Connecticut, and this is directly for the CT DEP hunting guide

Legal Firearms: 12, 16, or 20 gauge shotgun loaded with single soft
alloy projectile ammunition. Rifl ed or smoothbore
barrels allowed. Shotgun must not be capable of
holding more than 3 shells. Centerfire rifle 6mm
(.243 caliber) or larger, or muzzleloader (.45
caliber minimum).
looks like you'd be ok for a semi auto if you wanted.

Quote:
One I am considering is the Savage Arms 10FMC Scout Specialty Series Rifle. Basically comes with everything, but sometimes that does not mean it is all good stuff.
i think that one would do just fine.

not a fan of the barrel mounted scopes personally, but if you like that one go for it.

it has all the stuff you wanted except the detachable mag, which you said you could live without, and on top of that it has something you didn't bring up-a nice trigger. this is pretty important too as a crappy trigger can pull your shots off target.

and i hear the accu-trigger is supposed to be one of the better factory ones because its user adjustable.

sounds like you're going down the right path, good luck with your purchase...

(and don't let this thread convince you to buy an m1a for your first rifle . yes they are nice and i'd love to have one, but they cost about twice as much as the rifle you actually need for target/hunting)

also, bolt guns are more accurate than semi autos, just sayin...

edit- was just looking around on the site where i saw the rifle you mentioned and saw this one Savage Arms 11FCNS Hunter Series it looks like a better rifle for a better price (and it has a detachable box mag)

Last edited by jbshoots; 12-22-2009 at 05:02 AM.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #8

Thanks bjshoots for you insight.

The one that I am looking at the Scout has a detachable mag.

Savage-Rifles.com: Savage Arms Rifles/Shotguns Savage Arms 10FMC Scout Specialty Series Rifle, 18138,

Or at least this sight says it does, although you selection he a slightly longer barrel which is better for long range accuracy. I think what I have gained from this is that Savage is not a bad place to start. I don't really find anyone that is say they are horrible and I will hate the rifle soon after I get it.

As far as the M1A goes, like I said I would love to own one. I think they are an awesome rifle. In fact, I have shot them before, since a few of my friends in the service owned them. For hunting I don't see is as practical. It is a tad on the long side to be moving around with, and it is over 11lbs before you add anything on to it. For hunting I would try to keep it below 42" and under 10lbs with attachments. I have played with longer heavier rifles at the range, and could not imagine lugging something that big around the woods all day.

So thanks again for you insight, and I will look at other rifles in the savage lineup.

Just curious why dont' you like barrel mounted scopes, and what other kind of mounts are there?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Just curious why dont' you like barrel mounted scopes, and what other kind of mounts are there?
it's just that i don't like the look personally. i'm sure they work just fine. i bet there are tons of better shooters than me that use them.

i prefer the look of a receiver mounted scope myself, just a personal opinion though.

as far as savages go, yes i think you would do good to get one. i've liked the two i've shot and the new ones come with that accu-trigger that's supposed to be pretty nice...

Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

An external box mag is ok, but I know a number of guys that have lost them while hunting. The Savage package guns are a good deal. Look at the 10 series. They have an internal box mag. Another good rifle would be the Howa 1500 short action. If the SHTF a bolt gun w/ or without an external mag won't matter much.