First Mid/Long Range Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > First Mid/Long Range Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default First Mid/Long Range Rifle

I would really like to hear some recommendations for a good, solid, accurate, but very economical (with out sacrificing quality) option for a beginning mid to long (300+ yards) range rifle. Possibly for hunting/survival, but mostly just for sport.

Semi-auto is preferred, but other action types are great too. I would also consider the availability and cost of ammunition.

I don't really own an effective rifle for shooting beyond 300 yards or so, or do I know much about longer ranged guns, but I think I may have an interest in learning.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

My first choice would be an M14 variant, but if economy is crucial check out the Saigas.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #3

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

M14 if you got the money to spend on it or if money is tight I would say a good Howa 1500 in 308 or maybe a Savage 110, or a good Remington 700

Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #4

What is the maximum amount of money your looking to spend on your rifle?

Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

$500, but preferably less.

I have enough effective weapons suitable up to about 300 yards, but I have some range buddies that are hunters and shoot long range. So I would like something to shoot when we go out and practice as well as a suitable hunting rifle for medium/large game in case I ever get a chance to go out with them (maybe when I can walk again).

Sometimes they hunt pronged horn out east on the prairie and long range accuracy is a must.

Low maintenance, simplicity and durability are all positive.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
$500, but preferably less. Accurate. Reliable.
Low maintenance, simplicity and durability are all positive.
Two words. Bolt-Gun.

You are not going to find what you are looking for in a semi auto in that price range my friend.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

JD is very correct here about a bolt rifle, no semi, and you rreeeeeallllyyyy need to define what you mean by long range...are we talking 12 in steel plates at 300 meters or are we talking sub MOA at 500 meters?

If you want serious precision you're talking about close to $800-1200 at least you can get a Rem 700 SPS Varmit for pretty cheap maybe about 5-6 hundred and its the same receiver/barrel as the 700 police just with a cheaper stock that you can upgrade later if you want, but you're still going to need good, inexpensive glass, SWS Super Sniper is really good for about 3-350, then get good rings and base, like badger or nightforce for about 300, dont buy walmart specials your scope will jump all over the place, ultimately that you get what you pay for, and it will not be a F-class project or rifle by far, and it will defiantly run you well over $500. The .308 is good up to 1000 meters and beyond in the right hands and you'll find any and all ballistics data you could ever want for it, JMO.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 10-08-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: JMO added

Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Bolt guns are great. Like I said I don't really have a serious void for a rifle right now, but I would like to practice with one and gain some proficiency shooting accurately 500+ yards and if I ever do need one I hate borrowing stuff.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

So??

You want a 500 yard target, possible pronghorn sized game, gun that will shoot what kind of accuracy for $500??

Minute of Angle at 500 yards is a 5 inch, 3 or 5 shot group. That is good shooting.

That is real good shooting with a stock, factory stick to be honest.

That is REALLY good effing shooting with a stock, factory, semi-auto rifle for under $500. It's bordering on other-worldly, but you can definitely see Other-Worldy from where you would be standing, to be perfectly honest...

Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm working on a 1917 Eddystone right now. It should be good up to around 5-700 yards. I picked it up for $199. because it had been sporterized. I've got about $300 into it and it's almost finished. It's got a new Bushnell Elite 2-7 scope on it that was a gift from a friend. It will be a good low buck long range shooter and I'll eventually put a better scope on it.

If you want a semi-auto, a half way decent M1 Garand will run you a minimum of $6 or $700. plus glass, mount and rings. Even with good but inexpensive glass, I can't see you getting away with less than about a grand. However, .30-06 is an excellent caliber and gives you many options and loads.

Take a look at some used rifles, something may even have a decent scope on it already. You may be able to make a score, but I seriously doubt that you'll find a semi in your price range.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams