Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > First Impressions - New Ruger Hawkeye 7mm-08

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default First Impressions - New Ruger Hawkeye 7mm-08

Looking for a little less recoil this deer season, I used my son's Savage .243, anchored a 9 pt. buck and large doe, no problem. Doe was at 80 yards and buck was at 143. Used some Remington ammo @ 100 grains. My trusty big game rifle in the past has been a Rugar MII 77 - 7mm Rem. mag. Had so much fun with the little .243 I was in the mood to buy old dad a new hunting rifle.
What I ended up buying was a Rugar M77 Hawkeye in the 7mm-08. have run a box of Federal Fusion 140 grain rounds thru it with carefull break in and scope sight in. The scope I attached was a Cabelas 3.5-10 rangefinder guide series. Big fan of the Rugar scope rings that come with the rifle. Purchased the all weather model with plastic stock and stainless steel, not pretty, but functional.
I did not do any 5 or 6 shot target groups, just the sight end and a little bit of steel plinking. In my two shot checks as sighting in less that one half inch group. Good enough for killing mid size game. I really like the range finding circles in the scope, I just covered the sight in circles on my paper target, and shot. That method worked just slick, for my mid aged eyes.
The lack of sharp recoil was a nice bonus to this round. I feel in the long term will make me a better large game shot.
I am partial to the heft of a rugar bolt and barrel. The new trigger is slightly heavy, but no creep or take up (unlike the MII). Very smooth trigger pull, useable as game rifle. It is not a light rifle, but I feel it will function for many generations and not fail on the big hunt. I put on the sling stick sling, not so impressed, do not know if I will leave on the rifle (a little hard use).
This is the third Rugar rifle I have owned the first being a older M77 in .220Swift. It had a few mods that are not fair to compare to the other two stock M77's. The first 2 did there duty fine, I plan on using the 7 mag on occasion. I feel the new 7mm-08 will serve my coyote, deer, hog hunts just fine for many years. So far other than the sling not much that I would change on this rig.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Glad to hear you've finally gotten a "go to" rifle. I've been a HUGE fan of the 7mm08 for years, and feel the 7mm08 is arguably the BEST whitetail cartridge EVER designed. I'm also a fan of the older Ruger M77 with tang safety. When Ruger went to the mk2 M77, that's when I became an AVID Browning A-bolt fan.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Couple of weeks ago took the above mentioned 7mm-08 to Texas and harvested a couple of feral hogs with it. Did a nice shot on a smaller hog right behind the ear in a head shot-dropped it solid. Then did a very poor shot from a elevated stand on a larger hog (106 yards), hit the spine above the front shoulder, seperated it for a 4" section or so, was a quick kill, but was not as planned. Not sure what I did in the heat of the moment. As a former 7mm Mag hunter was well pleased with the 7mm-08. Played with my 7mm Mag down there with a upper end NC Star scope, punched a 9" paper plate @ 200 yards dead center off a very good rest. Could not have sat at my desk with a pencil and poked dead center any closer. I am very impressed so far, with that under $200 scope.