Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > First Gun Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Gun Purchase

I am new to the gun purchasing game and want to join my friends by owning a rifle that is flexible for both deer(mostly) and rabbit/varmints (.243 or 270 win?). I can spend up to $850-900 and I also want to make sure I am buying a rifle that will hold a fair amount of its value. Of all the manufacturers and their models:
Beretta Tikka T3
T/C Icon or Venture
Remm 700
Ruger M77
Browning X-bolt
Win Model 70
Any others(?)
I understand that many of these guns will serve me well and it is more the shooter than his weapon, but my question is which of these would represent a quality/reliable rifle and a good investment?
and if any, is there anything that is a ripoff and should be avoided?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2011, 03:07 AM   #2

I think all of those you mentioned are good quality rifles... I personally like Remington (always have) I own 3 diff. Remington mod 700 and never had problems with them I love that action!

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Old 12-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #3

The Remington 700 is an amazing gun that you can buy and build up as you go.

Come and Take 'em

Old 12-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Personally, I would take the .270 in either the Browning or Win 70 if I had to choose from what you have on your list. They are all fine choices and you really can't go wrong. I think the Browning would have the most retained value though if you are buying with thoughts of possibly selling in the future.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The ruger m77 is the most reliable you will ever get because Theav got a mouser tipe extractor and there going to be rilly accurate gun the ruger gunsit scout rifle takes a magazine 5 to a 10 round but if your lookin for a real accurate the savage is probly the best well thats my opinion

Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugernut
The ruger m77 is the most reliable you will ever get because Theav got a mouser tipe extractor and there going to be rilly accurate gun the ruger gunsit scout rifle takes a magazine 5 to a 10 round but if your lookin for a real accurate the savage is probly the best well thats my opinion
And ruger and savage hold there value.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugernut
And they both hold there value

Old 12-13-2011, 03:23 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry I did that twice phone messed up

Old 12-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

The calibers you mentioned both 243 and 270 are good calibers. Not that the 243 can not take down a deer because it sure can. But good shot placement is necessary. I also like the 243 caliber for varmints and predators. The 270 is an excellent deer rifle and medium sized game! And you can hunt varmints and predators with it with light weight bullets, but they are more expensive than the 243. The rifle you mentioned are all good rifles. Of course about any rifle will fairly retain its value if you take care of them. There are a lot of good rifles. The Tika, TC, and Remington are great rifles. Also there are others like Howa, CZ and of course SAKO. Oh certainly do not rule out the Savage rifles. I like Remington and SAKO myself and have great luck with them. My favorite older varmint rifle is a 243 SAKO Forester Varmint Model and my main hunting rifle is a Remington CDL 7mm Rem. Mag. I also have a 700 ADL in 243 and a 740 in 30-06. I do like my Remingtons. But stay with the 700 Models! If you go with Remington.
Good luck on your selection.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #10

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another good rifle is the marlin x7. Ya they are usually around $320ish new but that is ALL that is cheap on them. No they arent very pretty to most folks but they are tack drivers. All the others you have mentiond are great guns also though. The t/c single shots open up all sorts of other caliber choices also.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did