Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > first gun, none hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first gun, none hunter

Hello, I'm new to the forums and the gun world. I know very little about the sport but I'm looking to learn. I would like to start with rifle shooting. Any advice on my first gun would be nice. I would like a rifle that is good for a beginer but still nice after I have gotten good.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Wow, I have no experience with rifles yet, either, so don't listen to my advice. However, my first rifle would be a Ruger 10/22, but I'd also suggest expanding as soon as possible afterward.

Now my first rifle in a month or two will be the Ruger Mini-14 Tactical, but that's because I am wanting something for repelling zombies and Marxists.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The Ruger 10/22 is an excellent first rifle. It's a simple and reliable rifle and it's very inexpensive to shoot. The Marlin 597 is also an excellent rifle and it costs a bit less than the Ruger.

Rainnite, please head over to the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself to the folks. In the meantime, welcome here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, go with a .22 cal. You will cherish it the rest of your life.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Henryyyy!!!

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #6

+1 for henry.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #7

A .22 rimfire will make an excellent first rifle. There is virtually no recoil, ammo is cheap, and noise is minimal. Shoot a lot, while working on your sight picture and proper trigger control, and you will get "good." Then you can think about getting a centerfire rifle.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A 22 rifle makes a fantastic starting place. You can get a pretty good rifle and not spend a lot of money and the ammo so dirt cheap when you look at cost per round. Bulk ammo runs around 15 bucks a box and you're looking at 500-550 rounds per box.

What rifle to get is a whole different story. For me I lean to the Ruger 10-22. They shoot really well and the is a TON of things you can get for them. Changing stocks, barrels, adding an optic, and mags in all kinds of shapes, colors, and capacities is really easy to get hold of and do. This allows the shooter to have a rifle that can be totally unique to them and the type of shooting they want to do with it. Marlin, Remington, Henry, Savage/Stevens make good rifles too. So it's good to look around for one that you like best. For me it's the Ruger all the way just because they are everywhere and after market parts are more plentiful than with other 22's

Being able to practice a lot the 22 rifle allows especially newer shooters helps with getting things down that will help you later with other rifles. Like stance, grip, sighting, working a trigger etc. But I personally really like shooting 22's a lot. I shoot with one at least once a week usually more. And I really believe it helps me when I'm shooting other rifles. Helping me keep my rifle chops fresh. Being able to shoot for a couple days or more on one box of bulk ammo is a huge plus too. You will not find any other caliber near as affordable to shoot often. I like the 22 pistols much for the same reason. Having at least one 22 rifle and pistol/revolver is a must have for anyone that shoots.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #9

thanks for the input it has helped alot.

now if my end goal is to learn to shoot then start trying to get into shooting comps, what would i need.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #10

If you have the money, an AR-15 would be sweet. Keep it clean, take care of it and it will serve you well. It doesnt recoil bad at all, so its fun to shoot. Packs a punch for the ocational zombie, and will ALWAYS be loved and never "get old" or "not fun anymore".

Nut up or Shut up!