first gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > first gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first gun

so im going to be buying my first rifle soon and i could use a littel help.
im looking for a bolt-action .243 for about 300 - 350 my dad said he saw one at dicks sporting goods for 350 does any one know what itd be
he said it had a detachable magazine(which is what im looking for).

Thanks for the help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2009, 03:32 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrick View Post
so im going to be buying my first rifle soon and i could use a littel help.
im looking for a bolt-action .243 for about 300 - 350 my dad said he saw one at dicks sporting goods for 350 does any one know what itd be
he said it had a detachable magazine(which is what im looking for).

Thanks for the help
First, jbrick, welcome to the forum. How about stopping by the introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself and your firearm experience.

Second, just giving price, caiber, mag type and store is not alot of information. I can't help you with the make and model of rifle your father saw.

There is a ton of great information to be had here, so stick around and I'm confident you will find what you are looking for.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have seen a lot of good priced rifles at dicks. I didnt pay close attention to what they were, but, if you take good care of it, it should be just fine.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rifle

Brick, I don't know what your Dad was looking at, but here's my 2cents. Decide how much you can afford and don't get in a hurry. When I was young I was always in a rush and made a lot of bad decisions. Do your homework, read, ask questions and then decide which rifle will work best for your needs and budget. I suggest you stay away from the budget rifle packages that include the scope for under $400. I'd suggest a Remington 700, Winchester model 70, Ruger 77, Savage 110 and maybe a few others. Here's a link to one page of many just to give you an idea. Check Gunbroker too and even better watch the classifieds here and at other Shooting and hunting sites. There are a lot of good folks in the shooting sports that will be happy to help. You can find a nice rifle for $350 if you don't get in a big hurry. Good luck, Ken
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/auctions.aspx?oh=671467&ar=at&ab=301&aw=1&pg=2

Last edited by joken; 12-29-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: link more

Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #5

I kind of have the same question as jBrick. I am looking for my first long range rifle and know very little about them. I would like something that is not bolt action but it seems like that is the norm.
Can you guys recomend a few that I should be looking at 1st? I would be looking to spend absolutley no more than 800 and I would prefer a semi-auto. Also ammo, who likes what and why? I am sure jBrick and I could search for this info, but lets face it, you guys love to talk about it and have th knowledge more readily avalible.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

possibilities are endless. im helping a buddy of mine pick his first too. I would recommend deciding what caliber you want first and go from there.

mind if I ask why you DONT want a bolt action?

Old 12-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rifle

I'd get a 308 because ammo is cheap and plentiful. There are also lots of bullets and reloading data available. I'd be looking for a military rifle of some sort. Go to Gunbroker and start looking. Come back for opinions when you find something you like.. Ken

Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Another drive-by questioner?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
mind if I ask why you DONT want a bolt action?
I guess its the whole "Plan for the worst" scenario. I don't want to have to mess with a bolt if i am in a bind. I would rather jjust pull the trigger.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

then I would suggest something like an AR-15 or an SKS.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."