First bolt gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > First bolt gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Rings & Bases

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
Vortex makes their own precision-matched rings, which I suspect are what they recommend. They do not make bases, however. What are the benefits of a "20 moa" base, and how much work is involved in putting all this together? Aside from re-drilling the holes, can I do this stuff myself or am I better off shelling out a couple hundred to have a smith do it?
Don't forget about Ken Farrell, they (he) makes some very nice bases for Savage rifles...both tapered and non-tapered. He also has some heavy duty "tactical" style rings. I use the Burris Signature Zee rings on almost all of my rifles, I like having the ability to use the eccentric inserts to zero my scope or add more elevation if needed. Also, not marking up your scope tube is a nice bonus.

Ken Farrell, Inc. -- Rifle Related Products

-Rick

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #12

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Vortex makes their own precision-matched rings, which I suspect are what they recommend. They do not make bases, however. What are the benefits of a "20 moa" base, and how much work is involved in putting all this together? Aside from re-drilling the holes, can I do this stuff myself or am I better off shelling out a couple hundred to have a smith do it?

The Vortex Rings will probably be O.K., however, I'm not familiar with them. Several companies make 20 MOA bases and they are mostly good stuff. On my build I used the McCanns Industries base, which was fairly inexpensive, and it works fine. Badger Industries seems to be a tad more stout. A 20 MOA base tips the objective end of your scope downwards form level and gives you 20 MOA more in elevation adjustment upward for the long range stuff. Putting this all togeather on your rifle is fairly easy and is something you should do yourself as you will learn a little and save money doing it yourself. As far as drilling out and tapping the threads for mounting the scope base, I would considedr that optional.

Aside from a little blue Locktite for the screws that mount the scope base you'll need to level the crosshairs of your scope when mounting it. For that I use this handy little tool.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/wheeler-engineering/catalog.asp?product=Level-Level-Level

Midway USA sells them for $19.99 and it gets you level fairly quick.

Last edited by mrm14; 11-17-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #13

Quote:
There ya are .
More specialized rounds are definitely a possibility in the future, my goal here is really just for me to cut my teeth on distance shooting.
With the hardware more or less out of the way, what's a good way to get educated on the basics of riflery, shy of pricey professional instruction? My "range" is basically just a conveniently located pit in the side of a hill (as I'm sure my range etiquette betrayed ), so I really don't come across a whole lot of other shooters from whom I could learn. Is there a series of books or anything you would recommend?
.308 Win. will do you just fine to cut your teeth on with this distance shooting. Black Hills and Federal just to name a couple offer target grade ammo in a couple or so grain weights for when you get further out in distance.

I'm turely at a loss when it comes to books to reccomend for this endevour. I've been shooting since I was about 7 Y.O. and I learned from my dad and uncle. I also, unintentionally, learned some minor bad trigger and positional habits that never gave me a problem until I started shooting at and beyond 400 or so yards. Some years ago I attended a clinic by the Appleseed folks. It was fairly inexpensive and I learned quite a bit. The club I shoot with puts on a long range clinic once a year which I attended this year and it cost $60.00.

If you could find a shooting range close by I would go there and ask them if theres a rifle club that shoots there for the kind of shooting you want to do and then make your introductions to them. Usually the folks in these clubs are very helpful for the guy or gal that wants to learn. IMO the best way to hone your skills is trigger time.

I'm sure there is some good publications or instructional videos out there that will help but I just don't know which would be good ones. Hopefully one of the other members here will chime in and have a couple or so good reccomendations for this.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey MRM, this long range shooting clinic that you are talking about for 60.00, is that out in Ione at Sac Valley? I might want to look into attending that to see if I can pick up some good pointers. And when you say long range, are we talking like 600 yards or all the way out to 1000? I don't have a rifle that will shoot out past 600 yards at the most.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
How did you come to the conclusion that the .308Win is not an effective long range caliber?
Look at the ballistics. Taking a 600 yarder is a moon shot ( very high arcing trajectory ) and if you stretch that to 1,000 you are going to be cranking everything you got out of your scope.

I would HIGHLY suggest you pick up a copy of The Ultimate Sniper by Major John Plaster ( Ret. ) You will learn a TON about the .308 round, what applications it is suited for, and not suited for, along with the history and why it holds the current "the military uses it it must be the best availabe round" mystique.

JD

Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Hey MRM, this long range shooting clinic that you are talking about for 60.00, is that out in Ione at Sac Valley? I might want to look into attending that to see if I can pick up some good pointers. And when you say long range, are we talking like 600 yards or all the way out to 1000? I don't have a rifle that will shoot out past 600 yards at the most.
It's a bolt gun clinic and it is out to 1000 yards. Your rifle should be a sub MOA rifle to shoot with these guys. You can shoot with this club anytime after paying range fees at the public range and then $5.00 for practice sessions to the club when you get to the target pit area. Also, to get off the public ranges, you'll have to become a member of Sac. Valley. You'll need chamber open flag which are available at the main range building and a come up sheet for your rifle and ammo. If you don't have a come up sheet they will provide one for you. You'll need to know the muzzel velocity and the B.C. of your ammo or the brand and type of ammo you are using for them to figure this up for you. The clinic is usually in the Fall of the year and is put on by NCPPRC. The price may go up in 2011 but I dont think by much. They usually post the registration about May or so of the year and it has to be paid in advance. The clinic is limited to 60 shooters and it fills up fast. So if your interested get your money in quick after it is announced on their web site. It is at Sac. Valley off Ione Road. NCPPRC has a web site which announces their practice sessions, matches, and their clinic dates. They shoot long range (1000 yards), TBRC (Tactical bolt rifle competitions) and steel. I, at the present time, am only shooting the long range 1000 yard stuff. I'll be shooting the TBRC and steel later this year when my new more tactical like bolt rifle in a different caliber is done. (a bit lighter rifle with a shorter barrel) Hope this helps.

Last edited by mrm14; 11-18-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah, thank you for for the info MRM. I'm not a member out there yet, but my dad is so I shoot wherever I want as a guest. They know him and I out there. I will join up the first of the year though. I don't have a bolt gun . . . yet. I wonder if they would be open to letting someone with a long range AR participate in one of their steel clinics or matches, which I am assuming takes place on the metal silhouette range. I did hit a ram a couple of times on Sunday morning, but my .223 AR would not even budge it. The boar and chickens are just too easy, and the turkeys are a bit of a challenge, but I hit them with regularity.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #18

You could probably shoot the steel range and there is other rifle clubs out there that shoot service rifles. If it's an AR you have, the clubs that use or allow their use in their shooting disiplins is what I'd be looking at.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will talk to the range master when I am out there again in a couple of weeks. I just have a hard time finding groups that shoot AR's that aren't carbines. Mine is strictly a bench gun, and I am not going to try and shoot a 15 pound AR standing.