Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   First bolt gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/first-bolt-gun-34371/)

TheDaggle 11-14-2010 05:33 AM

First bolt gun
 
2 Attachment(s)
So I got a truck a couple weeks ago, I was putting all mine and my father's guns behind the seat to go up the mountain, and I noticed something alarming. There was room for more guns. This needs to be rectified immediately.
I know I want an accurate rifle, I know I want to spend less than $2k all together, and I know I don't want to spend $4.00 per round to shoot it.
Some research has brought my attention to the Savage 10 series, which seem to be an excellent value. The 10fcp HS Precision can be found with a sticker price under $900, has a stock from a respected manufacturer with factory aluminum bedding, bolt serialized and matched to the barrel, is chambered in comparatively cheap .308, and has positively glowing reviews.

Attachment 21640

Savage 10fcp HS precision

For glassworks, I'm leaning towards Vortex. From what I can tell, they're in the right price/quality bracket for me. I'd like as much magnification and clarity as I can get without selling a kidney, so I think the Viper 6.5-20x50 is about what I'm looking for at $500.

Attachment 21641

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50

I've done a fair amount of web research here, but I have ZERO experience with bolt guns OR shooting beyond 150yds. What say ye rifle experts? Any alternatives I should consider? Anything I'm forgetting?

dunerunner 11-14-2010 05:36 AM

That looks familiar Dag!! You'll love it! Very nice set up!

Dillinger 11-14-2010 05:42 AM

Dags - Given the criteria that you have stated and the package that you have found, I would say you have done very well.

The only downside with the .308 is "long" range. This is not an 800-1000 yard cartridge and if you go into this purchase understanding that, you will be fine.

What are you thinking for a scope base and rings?

big shrek 11-14-2010 04:50 PM

Actually, you might wanna go with a Marlin XS7 in .308, get a Boyd's Thumbhole stock,
then spend the rest on a top-quality scope.

You'll outshoot dang near everything with that setup...and if all you do is the Marlin & the Boyd's stock,
same scope...you'll come out with $500 more in your pocket.

TheDaggle 11-15-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 386068)
That looks familiar Dag!! You'll love it! Very nice set up!

Did you lose a similar rifle off the coast of Nicaragua? :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 386070)
Dags - Given the criteria that you have stated and the package that you have found, I would say you have done very well.

The only downside with the .308 is "long" range. This is not an 800-1000 yard cartridge and if you go into this purchase understanding that, you will be fine.

What are you thinking for a scope base and rings?

I'm not sure about that. After reading m14srock's thread about rings and torque, I'm realizing that there's alot more to it than just clamping the sucker down. Any suggestions?

Dillinger 11-15-2010 03:41 AM

One of the more common things to do with a factory rifle is to get the scope mount holes drilled out one size, and insure they are 100% in line with the bore.

A lot of stock screws are #6, and there is no guarantee that the holes are in line with the bore. One of the reasons you see quality glass and rings being lapped into place.

Re-drilling to #8 screws in the correct environment allows you to have a true bore axis and mount up a quality scope base, preferably one that has 20MOA built into it.

There are several models and all of them are better than just putting rings on your rifle out of the box.

As for rings, there are a lot of really good ones out there. We use Badger Ord, TMS Heavy Duty, and recently PRI Tactical, but some of the higher end glass come with great scope rings, like the Leupold Mark IV.

What kind of rings does the Vortex recommend?

TheDaggle 11-16-2010 12:22 AM

Vortex makes their own precision-matched rings, which I suspect are what they recommend. They do not make bases, however. What are the benefits of a "20 moa" base, and how much work is involved in putting all this together? Aside from re-drilling the holes, can I do this stuff myself or am I better off shelling out a couple hundred to have a smith do it?

Squirrel_Slayer 11-16-2010 06:33 PM

"The only downside with the .308 is "long" range. This is not an 800-1000 yard cartridge and if you go into this purchase understanding that, you will be fine."

How did you come to the conclusion that the .308Win is not an effective long range caliber?

mrm14 11-16-2010 11:58 PM

That Vortex scope is good bang for the buck. Good choice there. For rings and Picatinny rail base I'd look at what Badger Ordance has to offer. There stuff is solid. .308 Win. is used by a number folks in the club I shoot with out to the 1000 yard line with no problems. You could eventually go to the "Dark Side" when the barrel wears out and rechamber it to a .260. Alot of .308 guys have done this with their bolt guns where I shoot and it works out quite well. If your going to go out to 1000 yards you'll want a +20MOA cant scope rail base. You'll still be able to zero at 100 yards with the +20 MOA base.

TheDaggle 11-17-2010 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 387814)
That Vortex scope is good bang for the buck. Good choice there. For rings and Picatinny rail base I'd look at what Badger Ordance has to offer. There stuff is solid. .308 Win. is used by a number folks in the club I shoot with out to the 1000 yard line with no problems. You could eventually go to the "Dark Side" when the barrel wears out and rechamber it to a .260. Alot of .308 guys have done this with their bolt guns where I shoot and it works out quite well. If your going to go out to 1000 yards you'll want a +20MOA cant scope rail base. You'll still be able to zero at 100 yards with the +20 MOA base.

There ya are :D.
More specialized rounds are definitely a possibility in the future, my goal here is really just for me to cut my teeth on distance shooting.
With the hardware more or less out of the way, what's a good way to get educated on the basics of riflery, shy of pricey professional instruction? My "range" is basically just a conveniently located pit in the side of a hill (as I'm sure my range etiquette betrayed :p), so I really don't come across a whole lot of other shooters from whom I could learn. Is there a series of books or anything you would recommend?


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:40 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.