Finished it. . .finally.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Finished it. . .finally.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Finished it. . .finally.

So this one has a story that gives me plenty of excuses of why it took so long in order to get it ready to go. I'll make it short.

This Remington 700 started out as a .308. I ordered the XHR LH version initially, so I'd have a great stock, barrel all I'd need was the optics and I'd be good to go. Well, the store ordered the wrong rifle, a basic 700 LH with the SPS stock. They refunded me the difference, I took it home, looked for a nicer lefty stock, couldn't find one I liked under $700.

In the mean time I came across a lightly used McMillan long action that is RH, but with an ambidextrous cheek weld and feels GREAT for cheap! (this gun now wears it)

So now I had a long action stock I liked and a short action Remy. All the while I'm also thinking that I wanted a bigger caliber. (already had a .308) So what to do.

I figured since the shop screwed up the first order they owed me one, so I took it back and told them I wanted a RH 700 in .300 Win Mag. They ordered it and I got the gun. . . only to break off the trigger while adjusting it the first night of ownership! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!! You should see how paper thin that piece of metal is. It broke off right next to the adjustment screw. I'll post a pic.

So it got sent off to one of the Remington Armour's in Tulsa, OK: SPORTS WORLD AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!

Total turn around time was 10 WEEKS!!! For a freaking trigger. I coulda done it myself in an hour (probably less). All the while I had to keep calling and calling and was given excuse after excuse. They even once said that Remington was "out" of triggers for their 700s??? I proceeded to tell them what a joke they were and that I would be letting people know. Which I am. The gun was delivered the 10th week with noticeable scratch marks on the floor-plate, but I was just happy to have my gun. I may still contact Remington and send them pictures. Remington did apologize for their incompetence and said there have been many recent complaints. Hopefully they will act upon them?

So I now have the gun, but the front action screw no longer engaged the threads. So yet another trip to Fastenal. . . they were able to order me in a 1/4 - 28 machine screw that works, but does not have the same low profile head that the original Remington screw did. Oh well. I worked.

So I mounted up my stock, got a killer deal on a Nikon Monarch 2.5 - 10 x 42mm scope, hooked up to Burris dovetail mounts and rings and it looks like the following picture.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Here she is!

p1010141.jpg  

Old 07-13-2010, 01:53 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Here's the broken trigger. I managed to keep it. I may have been a little rough with it, (couple of beers???) but should be more durable than this. In addition to the trigger. The chamber and barrel are already showing signs of rust. I keep wiping it off with a properly oiled rag, but it reappears every week or so. I haven't shot it yet, so that will tell if the gun is worth it's quirks, but so far I am skeptical at best for my outlook towards another Remington purchase.

I'd love to hear what some of you folks with more experience in Remys (or rifles in general) have to share.

Thanks,
D

p1010152.jpg  

Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #4

Liked 739 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 770

What happened to the left hand rifle??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #5

Nice gun I have a 700 hundred in 22-250 thinking of that gun in doesn't get much use hmmmmm.

Admiral Yamamoto: "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

"But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
- Dalai Lama

Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Dang Diggs. What a flippin' nightmare. All I can say is that thing better be a tack driver.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Dang Diggs. What a flippin' nightmare. All I can say is that thing better be a tack driver.
That's the thought I'm going into this with.

I don't think another Remy will ever be on my mind. That actually really hurts me. . . I guess I owe them one more phone call and hopefully get an explanation in return. I LOVE American Firearms!!! There's WAY too much competition for them to treat their folks like this.

As always I wish my gun well, but I also wish this scenario much luck, not for myself only, but many others to come

Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

To be honest, it sounds like a lot of run around for a 700 but I'm glad you finally got it all taken care of. I hope that thing is a great shooter for all that hassle.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #9

My gun smith say remington has gone to sh!t and has for the last 2years

let no talents go unused

Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #10

Let me see if I have this straight. You buy a rifle and take it home, get drunk and proceed to work on a trigger that the factory recommends you don't touch. It breaks and you demand they fix it. Okay, sounds about right. There's nothing to adjust on a standard Remington trigger that would result in a broken trigger like that.