Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Finding a gun used in Africa (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/finding-gun-used-africa-22012/)

cjr29 01-10-2010 01:47 PM

Finding a gun used in Africa

My grandfather spent 10 years in Africa and hunted all that time. He had a Winchester 70 in .375 what whole time but traded it for a shotgun once he got back. I have been transfering his slides to jpeg for him and we have made slideshows of his exploits, which he has been narrating. We haven't finished the product yet because I had to come back to Iraq, but when I return, I thought it would be a great gift to give him the gun he used out there. The specific gun.

My problem is that I don't want to arouse his suspicion so I can't ask if he remembers the serial number. Is there any way to find out from a database with only the year of sale and the person it was sold to?

I appreciate any help you could lend.

P.S. He was there in the 50's and 60's as a missionary and a doctor.

spittinfire 01-10-2010 02:47 PM

You are taking on a large task my friend but I understand why. I would call Winchester and see what they have on record as a starting point. They may not have much as records then are nearly as tight as they are now. That is where I would start. You might try figuring out where he bought it and go back to that store, they may have record as well. Not sure if that will get you anywhere but it's where I would start my hunt.

CA357 01-10-2010 05:53 PM

Depending on the manufacture date, it may not have a serial number.

Welcome to the FTF community and thank you for your service. :cool:

When you get a chance, head over to the new member introduction area and introduce yourself to the gang.

cjr29 01-10-2010 06:06 PM

Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately I cannot call Winchester because of my current locale, but I'll do that as soon as I get back. I think I may have to just ask my grandfather for the serial number and then just hope he forgets that I asked.

I know that before '68, manufacturers weren't required to serialize their guns but Winchester did. My friend has one from 1938 and it has a 10000 series to it. I remember my grandfathers was a 30000 series but so far I can't find a website that has it. I don't have a lot of internet time, so this may take a while. Luckily one resource I have is time...

I know the chances of me finding this are remote and even if I did, the chances of it being for sale at a reasonable price are even more remote, but I got to try.

To really upset people and quote poetry on a gun site:

"For all sad words of tongue and pen,
The saddest are these,
'It might have been'"

CA357 01-10-2010 06:15 PM

Are you having any luck with the Winchester factory site?

Don't worry about poetry. Most of us can real and some of us have couth. ;)

jpattersonnh 01-10-2010 09:25 PM

Go here! You may find one.
THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS - Powered by Social Strata