Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Finally got it today, my M1 Garand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Finally got it today, my M1 Garand

I was so happy when FedEx dropped off my CMP M1 Garand today I have been cleaning the darn thing for hours now and still have over half way to go. What the heck is that crap packed in every little hole and crevas, it's like wax or something? I will definately put some pics up here if I can ever get it looking half way decent.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Where are the Pitchures?

Cosmoline.....

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congratulations! What your refering to is, cosmoline and I know just how much of a pain in the butt it can be. Looking forward to pics .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

ArmyGuy,

There are several methods for removing cosmoline. Some are safer than others. All are fairly safe if you do it in the correct place with no flames and sometimes outside is best! Mineral Spirits is the safest followed by scalding hot water. The Navy used aviation fuel sometimes. Gasoline and Diesel Fuel can also be used but as stated use extreme caution if using these materials. They do will work! Let the parts soak for a period of time. The cosmoline will float to the top as it is freed from the parts. Obviously the scalding hot water soak will work and even though the parts normally dry due to the heat when removed from the soaking container. But be absolutely sure you lube the parts very well after any of these operations. The reason it is like wax is because it has been on the rifle for years and you must use something to melt and dessolve it. It will dissolve and float to the top. Parts that you can get into a large coffee can or large pan is a good way to let them soak. Bottom line is, cosmoline does it's job but it is a pain in the arse! Congratulations on your new M-1 Garand! Beware of that health hazard that is contagious! M-1 Thumb Have fun!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you and it will well be worth some elbow grease. However,

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #6

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

I love my Garand. It's just a WWII beater, but it's a shooter.

It will always be a special rifle in my collection.

I love shooting relics, I feel like I'm firing living history.

IMO, the best iron sights EVER.

Last edited by therewolf; 08-13-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy View Post
I was so happy when FedEx dropped off my CMP M1 Garand today I have been cleaning the darn thing for hours now and still have over half way to go. What the heck is that crap packed in every little hole and crevas, it's like wax or something? I will definately put some pics up here if I can ever get it looking half way decent.
What you have is a rifle that was preserved by embalming it in cosmoline...the bane of every Mil-Surp gun buyer. As others have said, there are several ways to get it off but keep in mind every surface of the rifle is coated in it. It will melt at about 135 degrees but will ignite at 300 or so, be careful if you use heat...

Pay particular attention to the action and the barrel...melted and rehardened cosmoline will produce a varnish like coating and could cause cycling issues and a "sticky" chamber. Mineral Spirits, a hair dryer, hand steamer as well as boiling water are popular methods. There is also a home brew known as Ed's Red that is supposed to do a good job on it but I would worry about damaging the finish on the stock, it contains acetone.

Check out some of the threads in the C&R section...

Best of luck and happy shooting...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 08-13-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #8

WOW, hot water works like magic. Well on the smaller metal parts like the trigger assembly and stuff. The pics will come as soon as I can get it all clean and back together. Sure wish the book they sent with it had a more detailed disassembly section. So far I have managed to just be able to look at it and figure out how to take it apart into smaller pieces.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here ya' go, this'll learn ya' a bunch of stuff: M1 Garand - Nomenclature & Accessories & Maintenance

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-13-2011, 03:57 AM   #10

Ok, here are my before pics, when I was trying to figure out a plan of attack. I hope they upload, this is also my first attempt at putting pictures on here.

img_0191.jpg   img_0192.jpg   img_0193.jpg   img_0194.jpg   img_0195.jpg