Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Finally got it today, my M1 Garand (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/finally-got-today-my-m1-garand-46740/)

ArmyGuy 08-12-2011 11:09 PM

Finally got it today, my M1 Garand

I was so happy when FedEx dropped off my CMP M1 Garand today :D I have been cleaning the darn thing for hours now and still have over half way to go. What the heck is that crap packed in every little hole and crevas, it's like wax or something? I will definately put some pics up here if I can ever get it looking half way decent.

dunerunner 08-12-2011 11:12 PM

Where are the Pitchures?

Cosmoline.....

Firearms4ever 08-12-2011 11:13 PM

Congratulations! What your refering to is, cosmoline and I know just how much of a pain in the butt it can be. Looking forward to pics ;).

Sniper03 08-12-2011 11:38 PM

ArmyGuy,

There are several methods for removing cosmoline. Some are safer than others. All are fairly safe if you do it in the correct place with no flames and sometimes outside is best! Mineral Spirits is the safest followed by scalding hot water. The Navy used aviation fuel sometimes. Gasoline and Diesel Fuel can also be used but as stated use extreme caution if using these materials. They do will work! Let the parts soak for a period of time. The cosmoline will float to the top as it is freed from the parts. Obviously the scalding hot water soak will work and even though the parts normally dry due to the heat when removed from the soaking container. But be absolutely sure you lube the parts very well after any of these operations. The reason it is like wax is because it has been on the rifle for years and you must use something to melt and dessolve it. It will dissolve and float to the top. Parts that you can get into a large coffee can or large pan is a good way to let them soak. Bottom line is, cosmoline does it's job but it is a pain in the arse! Congratulations on your new M-1 Garand! Beware of that health hazard that is contagious! M-1 Thumb :D Have fun!:D

CA357 08-13-2011 12:17 AM

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you and it will well be worth some elbow grease. However,

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...ithoutpics.jpg

therewolf 08-13-2011 12:24 AM

I love my Garand. It's just a WWII beater, but it's a shooter.

It will always be a special rifle in my collection.

I love shooting relics, I feel like I'm firing living history.

IMO, the best iron sights EVER.

Jpyle 08-13-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyGuy (Post 561794)
I was so happy when FedEx dropped off my CMP M1 Garand today :D I have been cleaning the darn thing for hours now and still have over half way to go. What the heck is that crap packed in every little hole and crevas, it's like wax or something? I will definately put some pics up here if I can ever get it looking half way decent.

What you have is a rifle that was preserved by embalming it in cosmoline...the bane of every Mil-Surp gun buyer. As others have said, there are several ways to get it off but keep in mind every surface of the rifle is coated in it. It will melt at about 135 degrees but will ignite at 300 or so, be careful if you use heat...:eek:

Pay particular attention to the action and the barrel...melted and rehardened cosmoline will produce a varnish like coating and could cause cycling issues and a "sticky" chamber. Mineral Spirits, a hair dryer, hand steamer as well as boiling water are popular methods. There is also a home brew known as Ed's Red that is supposed to do a good job on it but I would worry about damaging the finish on the stock, it contains acetone.

Check out some of the threads in the C&R section...

Best of luck and happy shooting...

ArmyGuy 08-13-2011 01:17 AM

WOW, hot water works like magic. Well on the smaller metal parts like the trigger assembly and stuff. The pics will come as soon as I can get it all clean and back together. Sure wish the book they sent with it had a more detailed disassembly section. So far I have managed to just be able to look at it and figure out how to take it apart into smaller pieces.

CA357 08-13-2011 01:26 AM

Here ya' go, this'll learn ya' a bunch of stuff: M1 Garand - Nomenclature & Accessories & Maintenance

ArmyGuy 08-13-2011 03:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok, here are my before pics, when I was trying to figure out a plan of attack. I hope they upload, this is also my first attempt at putting pictures on here.