Finally got my Savage 110
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Finally got my Savage 110

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 02:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Finally got my Savage 110

Hey guys, so a this past Friday I picked up the 110. Obviously it had been sitting for a very long time. But I cleaned it well, checked all the areas that needed to be checked and it I'm pretty confident it's a good gun. I test fired 12 rounds just to make sure it was safe and everything worked; it was good. Everything is very snug. When I was a teenager a guy let me shoot his Remington Model 700 and yes there is a big difference but this rifle will be a good platform upon which to build. The one thing I don't like is the 22" inch barrel, excessive recoil and will be more difficult to hit targets at farther ranges. Some handling marks on stock but eventually it will be replaced. Bolt will need some hand polishing for minor surface oxidation. I don't know when I'll be able to get to the range, hopefully soon. I'll tell you all how well or poorly it shoots. Here are some pictures

dsc00257.jpg   dsc00259.jpg   dsc00269.jpg   dsc00264.jpg   dsc00265.jpg  

dsc00267.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The bolt is on the left side. Must be a factory error.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #3

Liked 147 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks good. Is it a 30-06?

Personally, I'd be tempted to keep the original stock and maybe refinish it one day.

Let us know how it works out. It certainly is in good condition for its age. Nice find.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 06-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #4

Liked 268 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 27

What were you planning to use it for that it needs a longer barrel or upgrades in general. Maybe a new scope and if 30-06 it maybe a solid 350 400 yards hunter as it is.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I want to get a longer barrel for two reasons...one, the recoil is worse than a 12 gauge shotgun firing 3" magnum shells and two, the longer the barrel the longer the range and less recoil. If I need or want to do a quick following shot it's hard because I've tried that already; I lose the sight picture because of recoil. Firing a hot load in that gun would feel like being hit by a sledge hammer. I know they have things such as limb saver etc. I'm interested only in target shooting now. Every modified gun I've seen then read the description has a longer barrel whether a heavy barrel or contoured, every article I've read has said a 26" barrel is preferred for the 30 06 round, and a 28" barrel is preferred for magnum cartridges. Used factory barrels don't cost that much so why not? It's just what I want, that's all.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This brings back memories. When I was in the Navy in the '60's, I was in Japan & the rules allowed us to purchase firearms at the PX & bring em home when our tour was over. I bought a Savage 110PL in 7MM Rem. Mag. & put a Redfield 4X12 scope on it. Wish I still had it. Good luck, jd45

Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Get rid of the high mounts and put a good recoil pad on it. The poor cheek weld from the high mounts is causing most of the felt recoil. If the recoil is still bad, put a muzzle brake on it or have it ported. I really hate muzzle brakes but sometimes they are necessary. I am not fond of heavy recoil but I have a 6.5 lb 308 and it is not that bad but my stock fits so I have a solid cheek weld. Poor stock fit is the biggest cause of heavy felt recoil for a given caliber. A stock that has too much drop to line up properly on the scope is the worst offender. Also is a major cause of poor accuracy. You need to line up behind that scope the same way for every shot.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

People Like This 
Old 06-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

JTJ is on to something there...
That scope is riding high from the looks of it, more of a lower cheek to chin weld perhaps...
30-06 is going to recoil regardless of the barrel length. I own 2 Mosins which are chamberred in 7.62x54R, a round similiar to the '06, and the one I shortened to 20" and the stock 29" kick about the same. You may notice marginal gains in velocity from a longer barrel but most loads will be moving pretty well in your 22" barrel. I would love to see what this thing looks like with the factory stock refinished, some of the guys on here have brought their rifles back from the grave with some refinishing and made them truly gorgeous.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I too have a hard kicking 110 in 30.06. I hated shooting it until I put a Boyd's thumb hole stock on it. It really tamed the recoil. The thumb hole allows your palm to absorb some of the felt recoil, and the Boyd's is slightly heavier as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 06-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

thanks guys...i do have to get into a somewhat uncomfortable position to get a good cheek and chin weld. the rear lens is small so is the fov...not much of a sight picture. i'm not looking forward to getting a new scope...ask 5 different people get 5 different opinions. right now i'm leaning towards a nikon in the $300 range with leupold rings and that's it. like i said i have to teach myself how to shoot out as far as i can with this rifle as well as the more technical aspects of shooting but yeah thanks for the tips...more tips on reducing recoil would be great.