FFL/ Buds Guns deals - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > FFL/ Buds Guns deals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

YES I support my LGS by buying from him. NO I don't buy from him

all the time. If he really wants ALL my business, he's going to

have to compete with others which give me substantially lower prices.

IMO, everybody needs the support of a good FFL at a LGS with a decent

gunsmith connection.

But it also works two ways. OTOH, you need to buy elsewhere to

force your LGS to compete. OTOH, if all you buy is Gunbroker, Bud's

and Wal-Mart, soon there will be no more LGS...

Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
YES I support my LGS by buying from him. NO I don't buy from him all the time. If he really wants ALL my business, he's going to have to compete with others which give me substantially lower prices.

IMO, everybody needs the support of a good FFL at a LGS with a decent gunsmith connection.

But it also works two ways. OTOH, you need to buy elsewhere to force your LGS to compete. OTOH, if all you buy is Gunbroker, Bud's and Wal-Mart, soon there will be no more LGS...
Agree totally. I see my LGS as a Firing Range/Training Facilty/Gunsmith with an overly expensive Gun Shop in the front. They get high profit margin items from me - Training and Range Time (and any future gunsmithing).

But if they can't come close on hardware, then I'm not buying. I have no problem paying them 10% over what I can get transferred from Buds, but beyond that, I'm buying from the internet.

Sometimes they have really good deals, but it's usually one item a month, and so far, it hasn't been what I'm in the market for at that time.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 09-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21199 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52916

i can understand the OP's concerns, as they have happened to me also in the past. i do support my local gun store, (i drive about 80 miles roundtrip) they will do an FFL transfer for me for $25. i also buy a lot of ammo and reloading supplies from them besides guns that i buy there. he is always willing to make me good deals on guns when he has something i want. the only ones he doesn't offer any wiggle room on, are consignment guns, but he doesn't really own them. but i have bought several nice guns from him at a decent price and he will usually get pretty close to anyone elses price if we start to haggle. my advise, go in and buy some ammo or other guns that you can afford, get to know the people who work there and build a relationship with them and if he is truly interested in your business, then he will get you better deals on guns. you can't just walk in out the blue and expect him to just start giving you good deals. i spend at least $750-1000, about every two weeks with my gun shop. you might check and see if he will do layaways, mine does. that $650 rifle might be easier spread out over 3-6 weeks.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #24

Likes Given: 1

I just bought a gun from Bud's the other day. I saved $250 after transfer fees by doing so. I see it this way, if Bud's can seem to sell it for that price, and he is obvious making a profit at that price, then they can at least come close to it. If not, then that's just part of losing to your competition I guess. For the record, my gun was in perfect condition. Easy transfer, easy everything. I prefer to buy local too, but there comes a point when I need to watch out for my own finances also.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 AM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21199 Times on 12040 Posts
Likes Given: 52916

i guess maybe i'm fortunate, as my gun shop will usually sell below retail. but maybe the reason is, i usually spend quite a bit of money with him. he has always treated me well and given me a fair price on everything i buy from him. just the other day i get a sale flyer from Wal-Mart, they had the Marlin M60 on sale for $157 + tax. my gun shop guy had a slightly used one for sale for $100, i called him up and asked him what kind of deal he would make me on it. he sold it to me for $79 + tax. what a deal!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #26

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts

The AR is the first gun I'm actually ordering, and I just started that, and the reason is, I prefer holding the gun I'm buying, and if I have an issue with it, I can go right back to the shop and not have to mail it back out.
Yeah, I can buy some of my weapons online for cheaper, but, as has already been said, I am supporting my local business.
Went in and bought the wife a new scope for her rifle, and they bore sighted it for free, (I know, saved me what? Three minutes?) but it was the idea of the customer service, and I like the guys.
Walk in the door, and "Hey Ben!! Come see what we got in yesterday." is a nice feeling. Even if I am paying for it.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sometimes I wonder where local dealers come up their suppliers and why, since they are so much higher than others. Just saving on taxes helps. The Govt. will just blow it anyhow.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_50 View Post
Sometimes I wonder where local dealers come up their suppliers and why, since they are so much higher than others. Just saving on taxes helps. The Govt. will just blow it anyhow.
Typically, store front business costs more, and their higher overhead has to be picked up. Also, most gun shops are mom and pops, and can't compete with the mega stores and warehouse type business, due to the fact they pay more on the front end for the firearm, sell less, and rely primarily on walk in traffic.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH1961 View Post
Typically, store front business costs more, and their higher overhead has to be picked up. Also, most gun shops are mom and pops, and can't compete with the mega stores and warehouse type business, due to the fact they pay more on the front end for the firearm, sell less, and rely primarily on walk in traffic.
I agree that they can't compete with Walmart and such, but they could still find cheaper suppliers. If I was going to sell firearms today, I would just advertise FFL service out of my home, which of course means no overhead. Firearms are too expensive to keep a large inventory.Two of our local FFl's are listed on Gunbroker. One charges $10, don't know about the other, and the gunshop charges $30. The small town gunshop's long guns are mostly .22 rimfires now, but he does well on handguns of most types.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_50 View Post
I agree that they can't compete with Walmart and such, but they could still find cheaper suppliers. If I was going to sell firearms today, I would just advertise FFL service out of my home, which of course means no overhead. Firearms are too expensive to keep a large inventory.Two of our local FFl's are listed on Gunbroker. One charges $10, don't know about the other, and the gunshop charges $30. The small town gunshop's long guns are mostly .22 rimfires now, but he does well on handguns of most types.
If I were to open a gun store, it wouldn't be in town, but out of town on some acreage so I could also have a range. That is one thing, fortunately, that you can't do online.
And you're right, I'd constantly be seeking better suppliers.