You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

FFL/ Buds Guns deals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchbarrel View Post
There's your answer right there, "he said he would for $35.00." Take the chastising and order the gun from Bud's.

-Rick
I'm an FFL & I always offer to transfer a gun in for my client's. I love the part where the state doesn't get any sales tax!
I transfer a lot of guns in from Bud's too, I have never heard anything bad come from Bud's.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
OK that $35 is 100% pure profit. ALl he has to do is run the NICS check adn fill out paperwork.

I understand that supporting the local gun shop is all well and good. But, do you want to chose the guy that gets on you about how you SPEND YOUR MONEY? No, But I'd tolerate it due to the circumstances.

I would say oh I found a guy that will do it for $25 and walk out the door and never set foot back in there again Me too, see below..
Let's see here, if you go back and read the original post like I did, his other option is 100 miles further away = 200 miles roundtrip. How much is your time and gas worth (roughly three hours of driving)? Unless you drive a Prius, it's gonna cost you more than $10 in gas (difference to go to your $25 dollar dealer). Three hours of my time is worth way more than $35...you get the idea.

My original response included, "all the while cursing him under my breath for chastising me and never coming back for anything BUT transfers". However, I deleted that part in the final response to keep it simple.

Last edited by Switchbarrel; 10-31-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #13

Liked 1634 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 753

Most of the local dealers that I know charge $20-40 for a transfer.

The only time that I don't buy from them is when there is a big difference in the total price.You have to include the shipping also.

Most dealers don't mind transfers on a firearm that was bought used on an auction site,but they sometimes get awkward on new guns that were purchased from someone else,if they also sell that same gun.
Put yourself in their shoes,and understand they are just trying to sell the same guns at whatever price they can for a profit,but if they only buy a limited # of firearms from the distributor's,they can't get the lower wholesale prices that the bigger dealers get.

Take a copy of the add from Bud's to your local dealer and let him see it.
Ask him just how close he can come to the same price of the total sale-firearm,shipping,and transfer fee.
If they can get close then I'd buy from the local dealer,not only are you doing good for your local economy,but the dealer will enjoy having you as a customer,and you will probably get more good deals in the future if you keep shopping with them on things that you need because good customers are just as hard to find as good dealers.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Most of the dealers in my area charge between $70 and $80 but there is one that charges $30 + $10 transfer fees. I really hate to deal with him and will never buy a gun from him after seeing some of the questionable goings on there. I will however use his FFL services to save $40. He had a rifle that I wanted but the price was high and he wouldn't wiggle on it. I ordered it from another on line company delivered to him, paid his fees and shipping and transfer and ended up paying a couple dollars more than I would have if I bought it from him. Sometimes I am stubborn but I always have my pride.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #15

With a little research, I have learned that (at least here) it would not be that difficult to get my own FFL. I already have my own business that could front it. I have numerous friends that have agreed that simply as a savings tool, we could all take advantage. I doubt it would turn into a bunch of profit, but I could get smoking prices on my own weapons and ammo and take care of my friends for a few bucks (or beers).

Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #16

Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnshooter View Post
With a little research, I have learned that (at least here) it would not be that difficult to get my own FFL. I already have my own business that could front it. I have numerous friends that have agreed that simply as a savings tool, we could all take advantage. I doubt it would turn into a bunch of profit, but I could get smoking prices on my own weapons and ammo and take care of my friends for a few bucks (or beers).
Open anus, insert Federal "government".

Pay the local his transfer fee & then let him show you what is "wrong" with the transferred firearm. Maybe you will learn about some extras he includes, and maybe he will learn about stocking inventory that doesn't move at non-competitive prices.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On the topic of which gun to chose....I myself would go with the Weatherby. To my knowledge, they are the only company that outright guarantees their rifles to shoot one MOA cold bore. Since this is going to be a hunting rifle, cold bore shots are going to be all that it ever sees.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:36 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnshooter View Post
I'm afraid that after you receive your FFL, you'll quickly learn that the fastest
way to make $1,000,000 in your gun business is to start with $2,000,000. I know I'm still trying to get rid of the last 12 AR's I bought (at nearly the height of the high prices) Who knows, maybe if I start paying people to take them away I can get rid of them...Don't mention all the cases of ammo I bought (also at nearly the height of the prices last year) I guess I can always just shoot it off myself. Heh Heh, I guess I figured if nobody had any ammo, then maybe after I got some in why then folks would come to my store... Not exactlty what happened. What did happen was I instantly got a bad rep for having the highest ammo prices around, and if Wal-Mart was all out of ammo, well at least they didn't try to charge That Much money.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
gym

Some advice if i may,
If you took an ad out locally, "inexpensive", and just wrote under new management, we have slashed prices on everything in stock. You would get another chance with the locals. Just drop your prices until you can restock at lower prices that will allow you to be competitive. Sometimes it's just something that easy. You may not make any money but you might save what you describe to be a dying business. Having been in 7, med-to-med/large, "200 people" started with 6. It is possible to do, it's sometimes harder to wrap your head around the idea of not making money on those items collecting dust, but they could give you a cash infusion to rethink your business model. Go tactical, people are into HD, "they don't even know what it is" , but it has to be tactocal, lol. All the ladies a church are packing Glocks in their hanbags, My neighboor is a teacher in a catholic private school, my doctor his nurses and the entire south is gone tactical, forget what happened before, and just move forward."easy for me to say" but you need to motivate yourseld, I saw 5 gunstores openthe last 2 years near me in FL, and they are all expanding, so it's your marketing stratagy that needs help, you are in the right business.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #20

Liked 5756 Times on 3368 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

Perhaps things have improved since 2010? I hope so.