Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   FFL/ Buds Guns deals (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/ffl-buds-guns-deals-33778/)

mtnshooter 10-30-2010 09:39 PM

FFL/ Buds Guns deals

Now that know what I want (30.06 w/ glass, synth, bolt) I went to my one and only local dealer. The lowest priced rifle he had was just over 650.00 used. I told that it was just plain and simple out of my budget. My weapon will see no more that 10-15 rounds per year. A few to sight in and if I am lucky one or two at an elk. I asked if he would FFL a gun from Bud`s and while he said he would for $35.00, he went on the chastise me for not supporting the local business etc. (I actually agree and get that). So, I took three choices from Bud`s that would work for me figuring the $35.00 FFL. His answer was, "I can`t come close to that. There must be something wrong with that gun". The next closest dealer is 100 miles further away! My only other option is a Tanner Gun Show 2 hours drive, and I am no expert so I would not know a POS from a sweet deal.
The three I am looking at are:
Remington 770 camo/ss w/ scope
Savage Edge black synth w/ scope
Weatherby Vanguard black synth w/ scope
All 30.06 and all within $50.00 of each other at about $350.00+/-
What would you do?

Jpyle 10-30-2010 09:54 PM

Me personally, if the local price was close to the Bud's price, including the transfer fees, I would buy local. If there is a $100 or so difference, sorry dude meet me half way or hasta la vista. I understand and appreciate the whole local shop, lower volume economics but I have to feed my family too.

mtnshooter 10-30-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 377495)
Me personally, if the local price was close to the Bud's price, including the transfer fees, I would buy local. If there is a $100 or so difference, sorry dude meet me half way or hasta la vista. I understand and appreciate the whole local shop, lower volume economics but I have to feed my family too.

That`s kinda what I was thinking, but he seems to be reluctant on that. Someone told me that some attorney and notaries keep an FFL license just for the few extra bucks. Might look into that

Jpyle 10-30-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnshooter (Post 377498)
That`s kinda what I was thinking, but he seems to be reluctant on that. Someone told me that some attorney and notaries keep an FFL license just for the few extra bucks. Might look into that

Bud's has an FFL search feature as does gunbroker.com. You may indeed find another FFL in your zip code that is not a retail gun dealer per se.

mtnshooter 10-30-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 377500)
Bud's has an FFL search feature as does gunbroker.com. You may indeed find another FFL in your zip code that is not a retail gun dealer per se.

Damn! I did not know that. My search continues!

Switchbarrel 10-31-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnshooter (Post 377491)
I asked if he would FFL a gun from Bud`s and while he said he would for $35.00, he went on the chastise me for not supporting the local business etc. (I actually agree and get that).What would you do?

There's your answer right there, "he said he would for $35.00." Take the chastising and order the gun from Bud's.

-Rick

cpttango30 10-31-2010 11:40 AM

OK that $35 is 100% pure profit. ALl he has to do is run the NICS check adn fill out paperwork.

I understand that supporting the local gun shop is all well and good. But, do you want to chose the guy that gets on you about how you SPEND YOUR MONEY? I would say oh I found a guy that will do it for $25 and walk out the door and never set foot back in there again.

DougB 10-31-2010 12:47 PM

FFL/ Buds Guns deals

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 377739)
OK that $35 is 100% pure profit. ALl he has to do is run the NICS check adn fill out paperwork.

I understand that supporting the local gun shop is all well and good. But, do you want to chose the guy that gets on you about how you SPEND YOUR MONEY? I would say oh I found a guy that will do it for $25 and walk out the door and never set foot back in there again.

How can I go about getting an FFL for nothing?

Altho.......$35.00 seems a little high.

jeepcreep927 10-31-2010 01:23 PM

As Tango said, the transfer fee is all profit for the license holder, but $35.00 is pretty average. Some places offer club type "memberships" which lowers the price a little, some places charge ridiculous amounts. If the guy wants to chastise you then I suppose you could look elsewhere based on his attitude, but again, $35 isn't bad.

You're probably not gonna find someone to transfer it for free, and you're certainly not getting your own FFL for free. I doubt there are many attorneys or notaries that have an FFL just for giggles, or anyone else for that matter. Those days are long over with.

kenl 10-31-2010 03:32 PM

A $35 fee seems on the high side of normal. Out here in CA it runs from $35 to over $90, depending on shop/location. Also, don't think of it as pure profit. You're helping to pay his business expenses (ffl, state, local, & other fees, overhead, etc)

I'd order through Buds, and pay him the fee. You may want to keep him as a future source, and he may work a bit harder to find some deals for you.

I'd also continue the search for another ffl holder, or maybe apply for one yourself:). It never hurts to have a little competition.