Fail to Fire 8 Times - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Fail to Fire 8 Times

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Malan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 58
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
Of course any batch of ammo could be bad. The Russians are pretty good at making the stuff, I am betting it is a rifle problem. This theory can be easily tested......go buy a box of American made stuff; that will tell you whether it is gun or ammo.

Owning a rifle and not knowing what a hang fire is indicates a lack of knowledge that should be addressed. Not knowing basid stuff like that can get you or someone else killed. The NRA offers classes in rifle shooting. Look one up in your area.
Thanks for your concern
__________________
Malan35 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Malan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 58
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default

I will definitely get the gun checked and try some different ammo. And of course I had the knowledge to wait before ejecting the cartridge. Excuse me i just didn't know the terminology was "hang fire".

__________________
Malan35 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,746
Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Default

can you get some close up pics of the failed primer strikes. also try cleaning the firing pin and and firing pin channel. can be as stupid as a piece of crud in there.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,077
Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malan35 View Post
I will definitely get the gun checked and try some different ammo. And of course I had the knowledge to wait before ejecting the cartridge. Excuse me i just didn't know the terminology was "hang fire".
Good to hear that and don't feel bad...that why were here!

I'll admit that at my first RSO training class I had to raise my hand because I'd never heard the term "squib" round. The Army always called it a "pop no kick" which meant STOP shooting because you just touched off a "primed only" cartridge that contained no gun powder and most likely have your last round lodged in your barrel!

We are all continuing to learn and teach regardless of how long we've been doing this.

Chains suggestion to test out some American ammo is a good one. When Trouble shooting any semi auto problems it's always good to start with the ammo, then the magazine, then the firearm because ammo and mags contribute to "most" issues.

Tack
__________________
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Malan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 58
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Good to hear that and don't feel bad...that why were here!

I'll admit that at my first RSO training class I had to raise my hand because I'd never heard the term "squib" round. The Army always called it a "pop no kick" which meant STOP shooting because you just touched off a "primed only" cartridge that contained no gun powder and most likely have your last round lodged in your barrel!

We are all continuing to learn and teach regardless of how long we've been doing this.

Chains suggestion to test out some American ammo is a good one. When Trouble shooting any semi auto problems it's always good to start with the ammo, then the magazine, then the firearm because ammo and mags contribute to "most" issues.

Tack
Good info. I had a problem with my Ruger MKII jamming on the 6th round EVERY time. Changed mags and problem solved!
__________________
Malan35 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,195
Liked 2859 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default

You can shoot (or attempt to shoot) what you like, but I would not put any cheap azz Russian steel cased ammo through my 5.56 rifles. Like running 87 octane in a Corvette. It might work, but...

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Malan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 58
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
You can shoot (or attempt to shoot) what you like, but I would not put any cheap azz Russian steel cased ammo through my 5.56 rifles. Like running 87 octane in a Corvette. It might work, but...
It Probably wasn't a wise choice.
__________________
Malan35 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Malan, probably wasn't a poor choice either... Some Russian ammo/plants are better than others but none of it is the worst in the world. Well, maybe some Wolf...

I tend to agree it is something other than the ammo as well. Strip a bit and clean well. Deluges of spray (watch your eyes!) and modern pipe-cleaners are your friend as well as teflon lube!

__________________
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Malan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 58
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Malan, probably wasn't a poor choice either... Some Russian ammo/plants are better than others but none of it is the worst in the world. Well, maybe some Wolf...

I tend to agree it is something other than the ammo as well. Strip a bit and clean well. Deluges of spray (watch your eyes!) and modern pipe-cleaners are your friend as well as teflon lube!
I heard these rifles can be temperamental. I haven't done a real thorough cleaning lately. That will be next.
__________________
Malan35 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
300 blk fail!!! mountainman13 AR-15 Discussion 2 12-20-2012 06:25 PM
400$ fail tacticalfun Optics & Mounts 15 09-22-2012 11:54 PM
Babysitting fail. Overkill0084 The Club House 17 05-02-2012 09:16 PM
Fail to Fire? Vincine General Handgun Discussion 20 08-02-2011 10:10 PM
Fail of the Day CA357 The Club House 5 08-10-2010 07:08 AM