Fail to Fire 8 Times - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Fail to Fire 8 Times

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
Of course any batch of ammo could be bad. The Russians are pretty good at making the stuff, I am betting it is a rifle problem. This theory can be easily tested......go buy a box of American made stuff; that will tell you whether it is gun or ammo.

Owning a rifle and not knowing what a hang fire is indicates a lack of knowledge that should be addressed. Not knowing basid stuff like that can get you or someone else killed. The NRA offers classes in rifle shooting. Look one up in your area.
Thanks for your concern

Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #12

I will definitely get the gun checked and try some different ammo. And of course I had the knowledge to wait before ejecting the cartridge. Excuse me i just didn't know the terminology was "hang fire".

Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

can you get some close up pics of the failed primer strikes. also try cleaning the firing pin and and firing pin channel. can be as stupid as a piece of crud in there.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #14

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malan35 View Post
I will definitely get the gun checked and try some different ammo. And of course I had the knowledge to wait before ejecting the cartridge. Excuse me i just didn't know the terminology was "hang fire".
Good to hear that and don't feel bad...that why were here!

I'll admit that at my first RSO training class I had to raise my hand because I'd never heard the term "squib" round. The Army always called it a "pop no kick" which meant STOP shooting because you just touched off a "primed only" cartridge that contained no gun powder and most likely have your last round lodged in your barrel!

We are all continuing to learn and teach regardless of how long we've been doing this.

Chains suggestion to test out some American ammo is a good one. When Trouble shooting any semi auto problems it's always good to start with the ammo, then the magazine, then the firearm because ammo and mags contribute to "most" issues.

Tack

Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Good to hear that and don't feel bad...that why were here!

I'll admit that at my first RSO training class I had to raise my hand because I'd never heard the term "squib" round. The Army always called it a "pop no kick" which meant STOP shooting because you just touched off a "primed only" cartridge that contained no gun powder and most likely have your last round lodged in your barrel!

We are all continuing to learn and teach regardless of how long we've been doing this.

Chains suggestion to test out some American ammo is a good one. When Trouble shooting any semi auto problems it's always good to start with the ammo, then the magazine, then the firearm because ammo and mags contribute to "most" issues.

Tack
Good info. I had a problem with my Ruger MKII jamming on the 6th round EVERY time. Changed mags and problem solved!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2859 Times on 1489 Posts
Likes Given: 254

You can shoot (or attempt to shoot) what you like, but I would not put any cheap azz Russian steel cased ammo through my 5.56 rifles. Like running 87 octane in a Corvette. It might work, but...

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
You can shoot (or attempt to shoot) what you like, but I would not put any cheap azz Russian steel cased ammo through my 5.56 rifles. Like running 87 octane in a Corvette. It might work, but...
It Probably wasn't a wise choice.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #18

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Malan, probably wasn't a poor choice either... Some Russian ammo/plants are better than others but none of it is the worst in the world. Well, maybe some Wolf...

I tend to agree it is something other than the ammo as well. Strip a bit and clean well. Deluges of spray (watch your eyes!) and modern pipe-cleaners are your friend as well as teflon lube!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Malan, probably wasn't a poor choice either... Some Russian ammo/plants are better than others but none of it is the worst in the world. Well, maybe some Wolf...

I tend to agree it is something other than the ammo as well. Strip a bit and clean well. Deluges of spray (watch your eyes!) and modern pipe-cleaners are your friend as well as teflon lube!
I heard these rifles can be temperamental. I haven't done a real thorough cleaning lately. That will be next.