Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Fail to Fire 8 Times (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/fail-fire-8-times-80314/)

Malan35 01-04-2013 02:38 PM

Hey guys I ordered some of that Russian surplus .223 ammo from sportsmansguide (green box with brown bear on side). I ordered 260 rounds but only brought 40 to the range with me just do to some testing. Well I loaded up the first mag and out of 30 rounds I had 8 fail to fires. I collected them and noticed that all of the primers were hit. Just no bang. I really don't want to shoot the rest of the batch mowing there could be more like this. Should I complain to sportsmansguide or to the ammo company themselves? Not looking to start a war, just would like some kind of compensation if this continues to happen. You guys have any experience with this? Thanks!

JonM 01-04-2013 03:55 PM

out of what rifle??

the russian primers are typically pretty hard and require a pretty stout smack to set them off. your rifle either has a slightly weaker hammer spring or a dirty firing pin channel.

Malan35 01-04-2013 03:57 PM

It's a bushmaster XM-15

25-5 01-04-2013 06:01 PM

Also, please be safe and watch for a hang fire.

Malan35 01-04-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25-5
Also, please be safe and watch for a hang fire.

Hang fire?

JonM 01-04-2013 07:01 PM

hangfires happen when it goes click then some time passes and it goes boom on its own. it happens from weak primer strikes or faulty primers.

good close up pics of the failed primers would really help.

i had a similar issue with a savage rifle and it turned out to be an ever so slightly bent firing pin. caused just enough drag to slow it down.

vincent 01-04-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malan35 (Post 1079866)
Hang fire?

When there is a delay from the primer strike to the actual ignition...

If you have a FTF, always...ALWAYS wait 30 seconds, keeping the rifle pointed downrange. If the cartridge does not detonate after 30 seconds, you are most likely in the clear...

chloeshooter 01-04-2013 07:02 PM

sounds like crappy ammo - I'd be throwing it away before you have worse issues.....

Tackleberry1 01-04-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malan35 (Post 1079866)
Hang fire?

Hang fire is a delayed detonation.

The military teaches you to keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction with the action closed for 60 seconds following a "click no bang". This is SOP "at the range".

Of course they also teach Immediate action known as SPORTS to immediately clear a malfunction durring an engagement so...YMMV

SERIOUSLY though, when happens "in practice" IE at the range, do not immediately yank the bolt open. Hang fires have caused injury and death by being mishandled.

Tack

Chainfire 01-04-2013 07:12 PM

Of course any batch of ammo could be bad. The Russians are pretty good at making the stuff, I am betting it is a rifle problem. This theory can be easily tested......go buy a box of American made stuff; that will tell you whether it is gun or ammo.

Owning a rifle and not knowing what a hang fire is indicates a lack of knowledge that should be addressed. Not knowing basid stuff like that can get you or someone else killed. The NRA offers classes in rifle shooting. Look one up in your area.