Fail to eject in .303 and also AR-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Fail to eject in .303 and also AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Fail to eject in .303 and also AR-15

Fun 3 1/2 hrs at range today, bought an Enfield 303 from J&G 6 mths ago. They had two categories of quality, think one was $219, other $259, which is the one I got. Cleaned it up very good, bought 3 extra magazines from someone on the internet and those 3 were hard to load while the one that came with it loaded easily?? Anyway, used cheap ammo, one mag with Federal 150 Gr SP and other two with .prvi 180 Gr SP BT. Neither brand would eject the round. Fired fine, not very accurate, but pain in the butt to use a wood dowel every single time until after one and a half magazines, figured it wasn't going to get any better so put it away. Both brands were stuck in there pretty good, maybe 20 to 25 pounds of a pressure wack on the dowel each time to get the empty brass out. Also, after firing 4 magazines out of my DPMS AR-15, (223-5.56), thought I'd give the barrel a break to cool off. 20 minutes later, was going to fire two more magazines and the first 5 or 6 rounds wouldn't eject on their own, but as soon as I pulled the bolt back, the empty round ejected. After those 5 or 6 rounds, it fired fine. Two of the 5 magazines had Wolf in them. Could the coating, if there is a coating on Wolf, had melted and caused this stickiness?

Protect your home and family, it only takes an ounce or two (or 230 GR)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Wolf coating has induced stuck cases in cooled chambers in my AR's. Runs fine, but I don't let a round stay in the chamber during cool down anymore.

Did you clean the chamber on your Enfield really well? Did you have the headspace checked? Try both of those and see what the results are.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I would NEVER EVER use laquer or polymer coated ammo in my AR's. Wolf ammo is fine for AK's and SKS's. The cartridge was designed for that type of ammo. 5.56 is too straight walled for such ammo. Silver Bear is OK because it is Zinc plated (galvanized).

As for the .303...Many of these have serious headspace problems. You will likely see a noticeable bulge ring on the fired cases about 1/3 up from the base. Bad JuJu. The other problem may be residue in the chamber. Cosmoline left in the chamber will cause extraction issues. Check the brass for the ring and clean the chamber VERY well

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

Default Headspace not checked??

Only been shooting since mid last summer, not since Army 40 years ago, so don't remember much, except which direction is the hurting direction. Gander
Mt. gunsmith only guy I know a little, and he is expensive. Gosh, I have a lot of brass 223-5.56, but hate to not shoot these 50,no now 47, boxes of Wolf in my AR-15. Also, there wasn't a cartridge in the chamber when it was sitting cooling, but everything shot fine after 5 or 6 rounds of ejecting myself (hey almost a joke), shot two more magazines. I know DPMS and other manufacturers say don't shoot steel, but ya know, its cheap. . . . Think I will use my 223 Wolf up first, and immediately after shooting 4 or 5 magazines, clean it good right on the range bench. Should help???

Protect your home and family, it only takes an ounce or two (or 230 GR)

Last edited by rangeshooter; 05-21-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: mispelling

Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Keeping the chamber clean will certainly help with the build up. I like to think of this situation like putting 87 octane generic gasoline in the tank of your Corvette. Will it work? Sure. Is it the kind of quality fuel the engine needs to perform properly? Hell no! Will it cause damage? Maybe, maybe not.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Wolf is not the highest quality stuff, but I have run many thousands of rds of it through my AR's. Aside from the "chambered round sticking in a really hot chamber after it has been allowed to cool down" problem it has been fine. Decent practice ammo in my opinion, but opinions vary greatly.

But don't use their .308.

Get some Kroil. I use it to clean in general, but it is especially effective in removing baked on crud from the chamber. Let it soak overnight and the chamber will wipe clean fairly easily.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-22-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9572 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

On the SMLE, use about a 20 g bore brush, and scrub the daylights out of the chamber- pull the bolt, and check the extractor- not gunked up, free to move, not damaged. If that does not do it, that one better go to a smith for a checkup- with cock-on-closing, extraction is usually really good.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #8

I shot Wolf once at a CMP shoot. I didn’t have any ejection problems, never let a round in the chamber more than a few seconds. I did have feed problems. I had 4 jams out of 64 rounds.

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #9

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Polymer coated stuff is crap in an AR. Mine will eat it and spit it out fine, but the remnants react w/ the FP10 I used to clean my rifle. It looked like mold in the bore a week later. Never again!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Tags
lacquer still used?