Which Factory Rifle Action is "Best"? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Which Factory Rifle Action is "Best"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

A Weatherby, Anschutz, and even the German 8mm Mauser have smoother action than a Remington but this is really to the extreme ! The Remington 700 Embellished series is a fine rifle with a nice action. Why put out all that extra dough {Especially when my Blood isn't that Rich} for one of the Ultra high end rifles ? Im satisfied with a Marlin to tell you the truth, and I think Marlins are better built than other brands especially Winchester.
After 1960 Winchester ain't what it used to be but im getting off track here. If you can get a good quality rifle for $600, why pay $2600 for the same thing that's just fancier ?
I would love to have a Weatherby, I can't afford it though. I could pretty much build a small arsenal ammo and all for the price of a Bee or Anschutz ! Besides, something that pretty and nice I'd be afraid to shoot and get dirty !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-09-2010, 02:15 AM   #32

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

As I understand the original post, they were not talking about controlled or push feed, or accuracy, or familiarity or anything except quality of construction and design.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #33

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
As I understand the original post, they were not talking about controlled or push feed, or accuracy, or familiarity or anything except quality of construction and design.
You are correct good sir, and Thank You for being one of the few who picked up on that.

A common question in the shop, and one that comes by the table at the gun show once a month, is "What is the best rifle action"?

A lot of folks think Remington's 700 series is the best because it's the most popular and it's on everyone's tongue.

I never said anyone that had one had a POS or that it couldn't shoot.

This was a gunsmith perspective of three actions that are available for those interested in buying or building a quality piece.

That is all it was and it's garnered over four thousand of views, but some very clouded comments that clearly didn't read the first page.

JD

Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #34

Default Post 68 Win 70

Based on most of the design and engineering points discussed, this means that the Push-feed post-68 Win M70 should be the winner, then, huh? Forged receiver, flat bottom with integral recoil lug, fully enclosed case head, firing pin retracting safety, decent, open adjustable trigger, etc. Not to mention, prettiest bolt handle .

DPSTX

Old 11-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #35
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3569 Times on 1719 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

Dillnger,

Correct me if I am incorrect but the group has now coined the name the Freedom Group!
I understand they have also purchased Barnes Ammunition?

Sniper03

Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #36

I have moved the last 20 or so posts about Savage, building a savage, building a factory gun to it's own thread where it can stand, and be searched, on it's own merit.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/discussion-about-off-shelf-rifle-actions-35630/

JD

Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I had a Remington 700 in 7mm RM years ago. Extractor broke. I sold it and bought a Howa barrelled action in 7mm RM and stuck it in a cheap stock. That was in 1979 or so and I've still got it. That rifle puts 145 to 175 gr bullets in the same spot at 200 yards and holds less than moa accuracy, hot cold or inbetween. I have to agree wholeheartedly with the OP, Howa beats them all for a number of valid reasons.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #38

Very interesting thread, even from a non competitive shooter!

My only bolt action rifle is a M70 in .308 and I am completely happy with it. All of my rifles shoot MOD, minute of deer. But, hunting is all I'll ever use them for. I don't practice enough to get the most out of a rifle. I wish I could.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 AM   #39

With all due respect to the mods, someone should point out in this thread that Savage is building what is probably the best factory action right now. The single shot, target actions are tearing up the world of F/TR against custom built rifles on custom actions. I don't see any other factory action doing that.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ghidora View Post
With all due respect to the mods, someone should point out in this thread that Savage is building what is probably the best factory action right now. The single shot, target actions are tearing up the world of F/TR against custom built rifles on custom actions. I don't see any other factory action doing that.
Then by all means, post up some pictures, some evidence, compare the mighty Savage to the other actions that have been broken down in this thread.

Post up something more than your opinion, which has been all over this thread. All we have is your word that Savage is doing anything, or that's it's the best action going.

Post some credible pictures with some hard evidence that is more than your word and then we can discuss apples and apples.

JD

PS - To make the statement that
Quote:
Savage is building what is probably the best factory action right now
is an opinion. That is fine, but it needs to be clarified as such so people don't spend their hard earned cash on what YOU think is "the best".

Last edited by Dillinger; 12-16-2010 at 02:25 AM.