Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which Factory Rifle Action is "Best"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #111
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19961 Times on 11347 Posts
Likes Given: 50323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
While there are several rifle actions I love, namely the Mauser actions, but the perfection of the mass produced rifle action is the Savage and here is why.
1: Floating bolt head, this creates the perfect fit between recoil lugs and action that otherwise would require very expensive precision machining.
2: Barrel nut design, this creates perfect head spacing that also would otherwise require pricy precision milling that nobody would do on a production rifle. This also makes the Savage action the most customizable of any because any average Joe who can turn a barrel nut wrench can achieve as perfect a headspaceing as any custom gunsmith.
3: Accustock, yes I know that is not technically part of the action but it keeps Savage from having to mill a flat bottom receiver (very expensive) in order to achieve a perfect bedding of the action.
4: Free floated by design, hard to believe but some companies still build rifles with a pressure point, while some of them are still shooters the most accurate guns around shot after shot don't have the barrel contacting the stock, Savage was a pioneer in this.
So long story short while indeed the Savage action won't do anything a perfectly machined Model 70 action won't it can perform every bit as well with much less machining and hence at a much lower cost.
If you notice nearly all affordable new rifle designs are to a great extent a knockoff of a Savage 110, namely the Ruger American, Remington 783, Mossberg ATR, Marlin X7.....etc.
i agree the Savages are the home DIY gunsmiths greatest fun! what can be done with Savages, can't be done with a Remington M700 or a Winchester M70 or a Ruger M77 without a lot of measuring tools and a lathe.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #112
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1446 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Well done. Your knowledge is compelling. Consider copywriting the article, and quickly.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #113

Likes Given: 14

It is to man that has it! Every body does not like the same thing! BOY I am glad! Guns and woman are a like! It is to the beholder.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:23 AM   #114

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Winchester model 70 with controlled feed rugger also makes a good controlled feed actin in the guild gun

Boredintr on Firearms Talk

Old 06-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #115

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A Savage model 10 or model 12 would be your best bet on a low budget, which will run you about $1000-1500. The Remington 700 Sendero SFII is another great factory rifle, pushing the price to $1300-1800.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Zombie terrorists. This thread is from 2010. Geez people get a life!

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #117
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19961 Times on 11347 Posts
Likes Given: 50323

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Zombie terrorists. This thread is from 2010. Geez people get a life!
JD, i seem to recall that you have dug up more than your fair share of dead threads since being a member here. someone could say the same to you.

besides this thread is a sticky.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #118

Liked 73 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Enjoyed reading through this thread and it was very enlightening and answered a few questions I had about why I was so happy with my Howa 243

My decision when I bought the Howa was based solely on gut instinct with very little fore knowledge. I've never cared for the Remington 700 or any Remington rifle that I've ever handled for that matter; and although I've been very curious about the Savage rifles I've tended to shy away from them because I know so little about them. Happy to say this thread has taught me a little about Savages and when I find the time I will go through and read the Savage thread that was spawned from this one and hopefully learn more.

All that said; although there was minimal mention of Sako in this thread; I'd love to see more on the Sako here as I own one in 308 (another gut instinct purchase).

I can keep up with the best of them when it comes to side arms and modern military semi-auto rifles but I'm a bolt action idiot.

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc