Factors That Affect Recoil? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Factors That Affect Recoil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

C3 hit it on the nose. Big difference between recoil and perceived recoil. I've found that with a rifle, contrary to what you might think, some big men complain more about recoil on a given rifle than smaller ones. The greater mass in the body and shoulder of a bigger man has less give. The recoil doesn't push them back as much, so their shoulder has to absorb more of it.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #12

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have a Remington 788 in .243. There are people who say a .243 doesn't kick much but this one seems to have a pretty good wallop to it. I had shotgun kick pads put on both my .243 and .270 and it made a big difference in lessening the felt recoil. With all of my rifles I notice recoil less and less as I shoot them more. Speaking of recoil, the first time firing my Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag was quite an eye opener for me. I didn't think it would kick that much, but I quickly got used to it.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I have a Remington 788 in .243. There are people who say a .243 doesn't kick much but this one seems to have a pretty good wallop to it. I had shotgun kick pads put on both my .243 and .270 and it made a big difference in lessening the felt recoil. With all of my rifles I notice recoil less and less as I shoot them more. Speaking of recoil, the first time firing my Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag was quite an eye opener for me. I didn't think it would kick that much, but I quickly got used to it.
You probably learned how to hold it to reduce the felt recoil. I have seen big guys end with the pistol over their head and smaller people handle it much better. Grip is everything.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #14

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
You probably learned how to hold it to reduce the felt recoil. I have seen big guys end with the pistol over their head and smaller people handle it much better. Grip is everything.
You are very correct. I learned how to better hold my rifles and handguns and learned what works and what doesn't. There is always someone somewhere who gets the black eye from the scope or lets a big bore handgun come back and hit them in the head. I knew what to expect from my .44 mag and I was careful about the way I held it when I pulled the trigger. Still, I got quite a jolt the first few times I fired it but now it is no big deal, and quite fun to shoot. The hardest kicking rifle I ever shot was a Remington 700 BDL in 8mm Rem Magnum. I was prepared for the recoil but firing that rifle actually made me take a step backwards. My friend always loaded his ammo at maximum and I felt it.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #15

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Recoil is the mass and velosity of the projectile = the mass and velocity of the recoil.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #16

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Lot of good replies so far. One thing that will effect felt recoil is how you are holding the rifle all the way through the shot. Just a little bit of room between you and the butt when you pull the trigger can give the rifle a head start into your shoulder that you can't stop. A solid shooting position is very helpful.

And just 'cause nobody else has been a smart a$$ and said it yet, the kind of panties worn when shooting might have an affect too.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

there are many different factors that affect felt recoil and many have been mentioned. and there are many factors working together that can make the difference in one rifle vs. another. stock design and material, bullet weight and caliber size, recoil pad design, type of action, barrel length and weight, powder type used in the ammo, headspace of the cartridge, ect., ect.

i have noticed over the years, that for some reason my ruger bolt actions always seemed to have more felt recoil than the same cartridge in one of my remington bolt actions.

as a general rule, i prefer heavier rifles for larger calibers, and tend to lean more to target style rifles, because i enjoy shooting a lot. there are many improvements that can be made to reduce felt recoil, such as a very good recoil pad, adding weight to the rifle, adding a recoil reduction device. if you reload, then using slower burning powders can help to, and also lighter weight bullets. i am sure there are other ways too.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
i noticed on my 44 mag. revolver that by changing the grips, i could handle the recoil much better, even with very hot loads. but it comes back to what you say, grips equal proper holding and control.