Factors That Affect Recoil?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Factors That Affect Recoil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

Default Factors That Affect Recoil?

I went to the range with a buddy last week and fired some rounds through his old Ruger MarkII bull barrel .308 and was really surprised by the recoil. It wasn't unmanageable but it was still pretty bad. I've shot lighter 7mags and 30-06's with less thump, and I had bruising on my should the next day in the shape of the recoil pad from firing 6 or 7 rounds. .308 and 30-06 are two rounds that I just never know what the recoil is going to be. One gun shoots like a dream in either caliber and the next kicks like a mule, and the only way I can tell which a gun is going to be is to shoot it (especially in the 06).

So my question is what factors affect recoil besides bullet weight or load?

In the case of my buddies Ruger, I really didn't expect much recoil because its such a heavy gun but I was wrong. I know that a longer barrel adds velocity to a bullet and thus more pressure so would that also add more felt recoil? In the past I just assumed a longer barrel would also add extra weight to the gun and cancel out the felt recoil but I'm not so sure now. I'm also wondering if the rate of twist would affect recoil? The difference in felt recoil between guns is something that has always puzzled me so any thoughts will be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 679

you mentioned what i was thinking. my first thought was weight of rifle but you said it was heavy. i know weight, such as synthetic vs wood stocks make a differance. also bolt vs semi auto, and as you mentioned bullet weight/ load. also if the barrel is vented

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ooops, sorry, I wrote a response based on a pistol. Then I looked at your post, and noticed you are talking about a rifle. It's too early in the morning......brain fart.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #4

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

There are several variables involved in producing felt recoil. There is the size of the projectile (bullet), the velocity it leaves the muzzle, the design of the cartridge (size of brass compared to bullet), stock design, barrel design and weight of rifle, etc. just to name a few. Remember the old scientific law, "for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction"? This is sure to happen in the form of recoil in this case but how the recoil is felt is another question. I get the bruises on my shoulder every time I shoot a few of my rifles, especially my Win 94. I enjoy shooting and don't mind taking the pounding.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
you mentioned what i was thinking. my first thought was weight of rifle but you said it was heavy. i know weight, such as synthetic vs wood stocks make a differance. also bolt vs semi auto, and as you mentioned bullet weight/ load. also if the barrel is vented
Yea, all of that is what got me to really wondering about this again. I had a plain jane Rem. ADL with a synthetic stock in 30-06 that shot like a dream. I also had a walnut -06 BDL that shot great. The same buddy had a walnut Rem. BDL in .308 that had a pretty serious thump to it, much more than the ADL or BDL 06 I had. I've shot many Remington ADL's and BDL's in .308 and -06 and I can never guess which will shoot well and which will have a pretty serious kick even with nearly identical guns.

Every high power rifle my buddy has ever bought would hurt after a couple rounds (with normal factory ammo) and neither of us have any idea why? I'm convinced he could buy a .17 HMR in a gun that weights 20 pounds and it would still jar your teeth. He just has that sort of luck, but I can never figure out why?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
There are several variables involved in producing felt recoil. There is the size of the projectile (bullet), the velocity it leaves the muzzle, the design of the cartridge (size of brass compared to bullet), stock design, barrel design and weight of rifle, etc. just to name a few. Remember the old scientific law, "for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction"? This is sure to happen in the form of recoil in this case but how the recoil is felt is another question. I get the bruises on my shoulder every time I shoot a few of my rifles, especially my Win 94. I enjoy shooting and don't mind taking the pounding.
I guess that's whats driving me nuts? The same laws of physics apply to every gun, but the felt recoil of a gun seems to be more of an art than a science?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Stock configuration, drop at comb, length of pull etc. has alot to do with felt recoil. Overall weight is one of the biggest factors, but not the only one

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #8

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Ive always wondered this too... Outta all my rifles my 30-30 has the worst kick, but is one of the smallest? My bigger military guns with metal butts are gentler, and have more of a nudge, and the 30-30 has a sharp kick?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

There is recoil, and PERCEIVED recoil. I have a VERY light .308 bolt gun with a stock that leaves marks on me, and puts tears in my eyes- ESPECIALLY when shooting ftom the bench. No place for recoil to go but me. Added a limbsaver pad- different gun. A force meter would show same recoil- but the shape of the curve has changed.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Stock configuration, drop at comb, length of pull etc. has alot to do with felt recoil. Overall weight is one of the biggest factors, but not the only one
You are correct.The weight is a big factor in the same rifle as an M70 with light and heavy barrels of the same length. I have found that fit is one of the biggest factors. I have shot rifles from different mfg of similar weight, using the same ammo and found a difference in recoil. I have tried identical rifles in 308 and 30-06 with the same weight ammo and the 06 seems to recoil less, not much but less. It might have something to do with the powder and case capacity. I think the smaller case of the 308 gives a sharper impulse. The recoil from my Marlin 45-70 was worse than my Ruger #3 with a heavier load. When I first bought my wife her 243, she complained some about the recoil. After I cut the stock down to fit her there were no more complaints. It was the first hunting rifle she had shot. I believe the butt design of the Model 94 30-30 and the weight are the main recoil factors in that rifle. I always liked the Marlin better and preferred the 35 Rem.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."