Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   f class (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/f-class-82408/)

woodworker 01-25-2013 02:14 PM

f class

Does anybody in here shoot f class? I'm fixing to build an f class rifle in a .223 and would like some input

DREWTASTIC119 01-25-2013 02:53 PM

What do you consider to be "f class"

woodworker 01-25-2013 04:37 PM

300/600 yrd bench rest competition

cbibb 01-26-2013 01:40 AM

F class is benchrest on your belly 600to 1000 yd one class is off a bi-pod with rear bag with either a 308 or a 223 if Im not mistaken open class is any caliber under .35 and you can use front rest and rear bag If your set on F-class using a 223 I recomend a 1/6.5 or1/7 twist for 90gr bullets www.6mmbr.com or target shooter mag with Laure Holland he built a 223 for F-class and did round development the articals are in there archives and it took 4 to 5 issues to cover it all my friend uses his round in his rifle. good luck

greydog 01-26-2013 02:30 AM

From time to time, I think it is a good idea to describe "F" class; what it is and where it came from. Although it's a fairly new sport, there have already been enough changes that it now has a "history". The "F" in "F" class stands for Farquharson. The class was originated by a Canadian target shooter by the name of George Farquharson. George saw "F" class as a venue which would accomplish three goals. First; by opening up the range to calibers other than the 7.62 and 5.56 and by allowing "any rifle, any sight, fired from any rest" it would serve to attract new shooters to the sport of long range shooting. Second; the use of scope sight and a rest would foster experimentation and improve rifles and sighting equipment. Third; the use of optical sights and rests might extend the competitive life of some of the older shooters of which George, in his eighties at the time, was one.
So it was that the original rules were for any rifle (weight limit 10KG), any sight, and fired from any rest. If a bipod was used, it counted as part of the weight of the rifle. Any caliber up to 8mm was allowed.
In the early years of "F" class competition we saw all sorts of rifles on the line. As time passed "F" class kind of split into two camps. One camp was the "benchrest without a bench" contingent. They used rifles which were essentially 1000 yard "light" rifles in various calibers with the 6BR and various 6.5's being favorites. The other contingent were of more the "target rifle with a scope" camp and they usually shot 223's and 308's in target rifle configuration. Eventually two classes resulted. One class, the "F"(O) class is open and the rules for the rifles are as originally set forth by George Farquharson. The other class became the "F"(TR) or in some venues the "F"(f). The rifles were restricted to two chamberings, 308 or 223, and some regulations were put into place regarding rests etc. So it is that what George had originally intended as a wide open, fun competition, has become more and more complex.
Personally, I would prefer to shoot a 308 over a 223 but if I was to shoot a 223 I would build it with a 7.5 twist barrel to shoot 80 grain bullets. Since 223's have to work at pretty high pressure levels, I would be sure and choose an action with a 1/16" diameter firing pin tip to help eliminate blanking of the primer. I believe the weight limit for "F"(TR) is 8.5KG which gives one a lot to work with; even with a fairly heavy bipod. The one thing which is nice about the 223 is that it is easy to shoot. No recoil means it won't fatigue the shooter like a 308 can.
BY the way, the course of fire varies from venue to venue. In Alberta they generally shoot from 300 too 900 meter in 100 meter increments. This is a neat course of fire; especially when they mix up the ranges. You have to know your rifle. Other matches are fired at whatever ranges are available with some limited to 600 meters. Occasionally there are special 300 meter matches fired on the ISSF target. 100 rounds, twenty per target.
Other matches may follow the Palma course from 700 to 900 meters or 800 to 1000 yards. GD

cbibb 01-26-2013 01:36 PM

Very well put greydog but allot of shooters are using 90gr vld running them at 2850fps any hotter the bolt sticks and the primers start to flatten out and your correct allot do use the 308 open class uses allot of different calibers records were set with a 284 something about those 7mm

woodworker 01-26-2013 01:51 PM

WOW, didn't know hardly any of that! Thanks for posting that! One of my buddies is getting interested in this and neither one of us are "experts " by any stretch of the imagination we both just like to shoot. I'm wanting to go with a .223 because it seems a bit cheaper when factoring in the price of ammo plus Im building an AR in a .223 and want to keep the same cal. The recoil does help a little with my decision as well haha. I'm really looking hard at the savage m12 target action to build off of. From the research I've done, the savage action is the most versatile action that I could ever hope to afford. If I'm not very pleased with the .223 cal. it won't cost hardly anything to change. All I would need is a barrel and bolt face and I'm set (from what I gather). Anyway, you helped me out by twist rate and bullet weight though, thanx. I haven't been able to get anyone to give me any insight on that part. All I here is "depending on your twist rate will dictate how heavy your bullet needs to be" and they leave it at that. Thank you and God bless

greydog 01-26-2013 04:47 PM

The Savage "F" class rifle is a good starting point and one on which you can build as you become more involved. Savage is the only major manufacturer to get real involved in "F" class. They even went so far as to field a factory team at national competitions. GD

sniper762 01-27-2013 05:24 PM

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/MAUSER.jpg

Mauser .308 caliber bolt action rifle. I built this gun for long range shooting. I bought a unused Argentina 1935 action and fitted it with a Parker Hale 26 inch .308 bull barrel. It was pillar bedded and barrel free floated into a Bell and Carson composite stock. It has a Timney match trigger and is topped with a BSA mil-dot illuminated reticule 6-24 x 50mm scope. I used it to drop groundhogs at 500 yards and competed with it in several F-Class long range matches. It has zeroes for 100-1000 yards and is quite accurate. I have shot a 196 out of a possible 200 at 600 yards and a 184 out of 200 at 1000 using M852 Military Match ammo.

longunner 01-28-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/MAUSER.jpg

Mauser .308 caliber bolt action rifle. I built this gun for long range shooting. I bought a unused Argentina 1935 action and fitted it with a Parker Hale 26 inch .308 bull barrel. It was pillar bedded and barrel free floated into a Bell and Carson composite stock. It has a Timney match trigger and is topped with a BSA mil-dot illuminated reticule 6-24 x 50mm scope. I used it to drop groundhogs at 500 yards and competed with it in several F-Class long range matches. It has zeroes for 100-1000 yards and is quite accurate. I have shot a 196 out of a possible 200 at 600 yards and a 184 out of 200 at 1000 using M852 Military Match ammo.

That's a nice rifle...what's the ball park of total cost that you have in it?