Enough Power? - Page 4

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Enough Power?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have seen whitetail killed at 100 yards with a 30-30. i personally prefer the .270 but thats just my preference. Rather than get in an online pissing contest (although pleasant comments back by facts are hardly that) the OP needs to sight in his weapon with the ammo he intends to use. at ranges he intends to shoot. the caliber is more than up to the challenge of stackin pigs. but as a sportsman its your job to know where you bullet will hit at a given distance, not a guy online. find the ethical limit of your weapon and your ability, and stick within that range. good luck and happy hunting.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I have seen whitetail killed at 100 yards with a 30-30. i personally prefer the .270 but thats just my preference. Rather than get in an online pissing contest (although pleasant comments back by facts are hardly that) the OP needs to sight in his weapon with the ammo he intends to use. at ranges he intends to shoot. the caliber is more than up to the challenge of stackin pigs. but as a sportsman its your job to know where you bullet will hit at a given distance, not a guy online. find the ethical limit of your weapon and your ability, and stick within that range. good luck and happy hunting.
that is some very good advise. everyone will have a preference for a particular caliber or gun to hunt with. but what you have said makes a lot of sense. just good ole common sense!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #33

I have gone wild boar hunting twice in my life. Both times were using professional guides and each time I was with another hunter that hunts all over the world.

That said, I know very little about rifles, dangerous game or bullet weights.

What I do know is I own several nice rifles. I use 30/30 when hunting white tail deer in brushy country. I use a .270 WM when hunting open country for the deer.

On the first boar hunt, the professional hunter shot a big boar with a Weatherby 300 mag and the wounded animal began to charge us. I dropped it with one shot using a 7mm mag. The next one I shot fell as soon as it was hit with the 7mm mag.

The second boar hunt was in OK and I carried a 270. Again, no problem in dropping them.

I have killed many deer with a 30/30 and feel it would drop a small pig but, like the friend that failed to stop one with a 300 mag, you best be ready to fire again or have someone else doing so if the pig is only wounded.

If we were talking handguns, I could be of more help but I know what works for me with rifles. If it were me, I would take a little more rifle but would not be really uncomfortable with the 30/30 either.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #34

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
JP, when a person such as yourself can back up what he says with facts and figures, it speaks volumes. i agree with you on the fact that there are no perfect calibers or guns. you choose one that will hopefully do the job you ask of it. people have hunted dangerous game with smaller calibers and suceeded. people have made very long shots with pistols and suceeded. but using a gun and caliber that is more suited to the task at hand makes better sense to me an average person. thanks.
I agree completely. I used a 12ga slug gun for years. A bolt action mind you. No scope, no frills, open sights. 90% of all the medium game I've taken were within 50 yards. Elk, The 1st was w/ that 12ga at 30 yards. Sorry I sold it. Noing your limits, and the limits of what you are shooting is the wise route. Pushing any of your limits is foolish. I still am a beginner to some I know. Most of the hardcore Elk hunters I knew are gone. They used big friggin magnums or traditional cartridges. There was a great guy in Idaho, Bob Faucett that used an 8mmRem mag. He bought it because no one wanted it. He was a 500 yard shooter for game. His knowledge of the area, game, shooting ability gave him opportunities I was not up too. I probobly never will be. I doubt I'd take a shot over 300 yards at something I really wanted and had the ability to harvest. Hunting has so many factors. The Hunter brain is the most important.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #35

Just got back and we didn't get jack squat. Saw about 20 hogs when we turned into the ranch last night and that was it. They are Russian hogs by the way. Mean bastards, too.

We did blow the crap out of a few pumpkins and water jugs, though. So, that was cool.

The 30/30 worked great, god I love that rifle, and much fun was had when my little brother showed up with some 12gauge hollow point slugs. Good times. Definitely not the last time we go out there.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

thanks JP. most people don't realize the difference between target shooting and hunting or no what their realistic limits are. i am a firm believer that most guns are more accurate than their owners. i have several that are a lot better than me! i also know that what i can do on my shooting bench and what i can do in the field are two very different things.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #37

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderBurnBassist View Post
Just got back and we didn't get jack squat. Saw about 20 hogs when we turned into the ranch last night and that was it. They are Russian hogs by the way. Mean bastards, too.

We did blow the crap out of a few pumpkins and water jugs, though. So, that was cool.

The 30/30 worked great, god I love that rifle, and much fun was had when my little brother showed up with some 12gauge hollow point slugs. Good times. Definitely not the last time we go out there.
Glad you had a great time. Do you have any pics? I'd love to see the countryside.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sure a 30 30 is good for hogs a 45/70 is alot better

Old 09-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #39
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
sure a 30 30 is good for hogs a 45/70 is alot better
But a 458 SOCOM is even more fun!!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1343 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

My little brother asked me to go shoot hogs with him, I think I will take this, been loading up some ammo for it.

dsc01389.jpg  

When all else fails.