Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Enfield Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Enfield Rifles

I am a serious mil surp enthusiast. I have always wanted a British Enfield rifle. I know almopst nothing about them. What are some good models/years to look for? What are some fair asking prices?

Thanks.

JH

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Not a major collector of Enfields, jsut have a few I enjoy shooting.

Price? Condition and orginality are the driving factors. You might visit gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com, and look at the prices on CLOSED in last 90 days auctions. May be $100 for a 'mater stake, $500 for an Excellent, etc.

Personal opinions? #5 Jungle carbine- a LOT of fakes out there. What about originals? There was a problem with a "wandering zero" due to cuts made in the receiver to make it lighter, and muzzle blast is similar to a Civil War cannon firing cannister loads.

Ths problem with both the #1 Mk 3, and the No. 4 Mk 1 is likely to be HEADSPACE. The reciever will stretch during use, and bolt locks at at rear of bolt- so frame gets longer, headspace will increase (to point rifle is no longer safe to shoot). You buy time by changing bolt heads to one with greater length, but eventually run out of adjustments.

I like the No 4 Mk 1s, and my personal favorite is a Canadian (Long Branch arsenal) Your mileage may vary. GOOD milsurp ammo getting harder to find, so lose thoughts of cheap ammo.

The Indian Army made their own version (Ishapore) including one in 7.62 NATO. Different steel, different bolt design- but is NOT meant to shoot .308 Winchester.

Suplusrifle.com has some good info, there are several Enfield forums. Take yer pick.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #3

Great info, thanks.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #4

C3 is right, I can't add much more than that. Well, I'd be sure to check the barrel well before purchasing. There was a lot of corrosive ammo used in some SMLE's. The rifling will look weak and it will have pitting in the barrel if they used corrosive ammo and didn't clean it good enough immediately after. With that, if you get one, and shoot surplus ammo, find out if it's corrosive!! Great guns though, I have a No.4.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #5

I have to put my two cents worth in. The Jungle Carbine. I've got one. I wish I didn't. I have always ridiculed any shooter who even mentions recoil or "kick". To me, a real shooter should be so transfixed with his sight picture that recoil is to be ignored. Except the Jungle Carbine. There's a "rubber pad" on the end of the butt plate, I suppose originally an effort to reduce discomfort while shooting, but this rubber bit by now is as hard as wood...and it fits perfectly on the edge of one's clavicle when firing. The first round I popped off I thought somebody had slipped me some super cartridge, but in truth it was that damn pad that created real pain. I felt like a little girl by my third round, almost screaming "Ouch!"...but not quite. They're terrific for a collection and they look sorta cool on the rack, but for shooting...ask a friend to shoot it...but not a good friend. Just sayin'.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #6

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 670

There are some interesting Enfields out there. I found one in a shop about 13 years ago and called a buddy looking for an MKIII. It is a 1916 Brit, Captured by who knows and stamped by the Austrian police, later it had Nazi acceptance stamps added, and finally stamped again by the Brits post WW2. They were $125.00 rifles in those days. I prefer the No4MK1(*). Savage and Longbranch always seem to be the best shooters as they were no being bombed!
The No4 used 2,4,5, and even 6 groove barrels. The Longbranch used a 2 groove. You will also see FTR or FTF stamped on many rifles with a date. This was to denote repair or upgrade. The No4mk2 model had the trigger assembly attached differently than the mk1. The FTF for this upgrade to existing rifles was No4mk1/3. The No4 action is much stronger than the MKIII, so it does not suffer the stretching/ headspace issues as frequently.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #7

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

For real good info in the Lee Enfield rifles go to 303british.com . Probably more and better info there than most places.
All Lee Enfield actions spring rather than stretch. That is to say, the receiver stretches and the bolt deflects on firing but they return to their previous dimensions once the stress is gone. GD

Tags
enfield, military, military surplus, surplus